Thread: 2006 GMC 3500 Fuel Issue

Default 2006 GMC 3500 Fuel Issue

I’ve been scanning forums for answers, but I figured I start a topic to help me pin point my issue perhaps. I have 3500 GMC Duramax I got the truck second hand as my old 06 6.0 work truck I had got totaled from a guy txting and driving. It’s got 189,000 miles on it. It’s used for work has Utility Bed and two fuel tanks, but only one fuel tank actually works since I got it (reads half tank) when first tank is full. I changed the fuel filter first time it went into Limp mode and it fixed my issue, now I’ve gone through 2 more fuel filters and it seems in very short time. Before the weather started heating up I would turn the key wait a few minutes and fire it up it would run for a few mins stutter then die, I pump up the fuel filter start it again and then I was set for the rest of the day. At first it was every once in awhile then it started becoming a everyday issue. Now all of sudden it’s firing up no problem (not sure if it has to do with warmer weather or not). It’s new issue now is it keeps going into limp mode in 30 miles it will do it 3 times after clearing code. P0087 Fuel rail pressure code I know it has to be fuel issue as before it throws the code it starts to feel a little sluggish. My boss is one of those that likes to do his own up keep but only when it convenient or he absolutely has to so I don’t get a lot of times to try and figure what’s going on and pinpoint the issue.

Hi
    It could be dirty pickup screen's in the tanks.
    You should get a pressure gauge inline to help diagnose.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Mxer59 View Post
    I’ve been scanning forums for answers, but I figured I start a topic to help me pin point my issue perhaps. I have 3500 GMC Duramax I got the truck second hand as my old 06 6.0 work truck I had got totaled from a guy txting and driving. It’s got 189,000 miles on it. It’s used for work has Utility Bed and two fuel tanks, but only one fuel tank actually works since I got it (reads half tank) when first tank is full. I changed the fuel filter first time it went into Limp mode and it fixed my issue, now I’ve gone through 2 more fuel filters and it seems in very short time. Before the weather started heating up I would turn the key wait a few minutes and fire it up it would run for a few mins stutter then die, I pump up the fuel filter start it again and then I was set for the rest of the day. At first it was every once in awhile then it started becoming a everyday issue. Now all of sudden it’s firing up no problem (not sure if it has to do with warmer weather or not). It’s new issue now is it keeps going into limp mode in 30 miles it will do it 3 times after clearing code. P0087 Fuel rail pressure code I know it has to be fuel issue as before it throws the code it starts to feel a little sluggish. My boss is one of those that likes to do his own up keep but only when it convenient or he absolutely has to so I don’t get a lot of times to try and figure what’s going on and pinpoint the issue.
    Some reading:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du...ift%20pump.pdf

In your case it sounds like the transfer pump is not leveling the fuel in each tank. This pump may be bad.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!