Thread: Bolts for dual thermostat housing

Default Bolts for dual thermostat housing

Does anyone know the part number or specific size of the 4 bolts that hold the water outlet to the dual thermostat crossover manifold? Have searched this forum and the internet and cannot find them. Also, is there a gasket between the two or just the 2 t-stat seals? Thanks.
    '95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500, reg cab, long box, 2x4, 4L80E, 3.73 ratio, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.

Default gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    The bolts are metric... 1.5mm thread pitch x 10mm in diameter, length to suit. It's been a while since I've dealt with a dual stat housing... Jim
    Could you comment on gaskets.....from what I see on these complete kits, it looks like there are several o-rings but no gaskets, except for where the crossover mounts to the block. Am trying to order parts separately to make my own kit to convert my 1995 to a 1997 cooling system. Thanks for the bolt info.
    '95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500, reg cab, long box, 2x4, 4L80E, 3.73 ratio, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.

There are the just two rubber gaskets used around each thermostat. No other gaskets.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    There are the just two rubber gaskets used around each thermostat. No other gaskets.

Casey
    Ya know that's what I thought but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the input.

Arrow

The seals with the thermostats are effective. If the housing leaks, it's likely due to crack(s), or porosity in the casting. Almost never does gaskets or RTV cure that. Use minimal recommended bolt torque, and blue thread locker. This prevents warpage and cracks.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    The seals with the thermostats are effective. If the housing leaks, it's likely due to crack(s), or porosity in the casting. Almost never does gaskets or RTV cure that. Use minimal recommended bolt torque, and blue thread locker. This prevents warpage and cracks.
    Great info. Thanks! Do you know if these cooling upgrade kits have special parts that are modified to make installation easier, or are they just the stock parts put together as a kit? I looked up parts for a 1997 GMC 6.5L on AcDelco.com and found all the part numbers I needed (except for the 4 bolts). Then checked these part numbers at several online parts houses. Found I could save anywhere from $175 to almost $300 buying them myself. Spent many hours searching the forum for cooling upgrades....learned about the "balanced flow" pumps and "bypass cooling" and such. Decided the '97 cooling upgrade with HO pump and dual t-stat was what I needed. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rnash4 View Post
    Spent many hours searching the forum for cooling upgrades....learned about the "balanced flow" pumps and "bypass cooling" and such. Decided the '97 cooling upgrade with HO pump and dual t-stat was what I needed. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Yes, the OEM factory cooling upgrade is the best way to go. I actually purchased a 1997 C3500 parts truck (had a 6.5L with a dead cylinder; broken piston I believe) and just swapped all the cooling upgrades over to my 1995 Tahoe. Even grabbed the upgraded air filter housing. I kept the engine and all other parts I wanted, and sold the remains for more than I paid for the truck in the first place!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Yes, the OEM factory cooling upgrade is the best way to go. I actually purchased a 1997 C3500 parts truck (had a 6.5L with a dead cylinder; broken piston I believe) and just swapped all the cooling upgrades over to my 1995 Tahoe. Even grabbed the upgraded air filter housing. I kept the engine and all other parts I wanted, and sold the remains for more than I paid for the truck in the first place!

Casey
    That was a good idea. I will start looking around for a 97+ parts truck myself, not many 6.5's around here anymore. Thanks.

Finally found the part number for the 4 water outlet bolts Gm#24504922. Thanks to all for your input.
    Randall

If you PM me your email address, I'm send you a parts manual