Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amg P400

I'd like to see a picture of the intake/turbo . Looks like a van turbo setup .

Nice pics, very nice girdle, but I noticed the outer mainbolts are still in the same lousy locations as on the stockblocks!
    98 GMC sierra 2500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 252000 km. needs new engine, next project
    95 GMC sierra LE 2500 ext cab sh box 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 328.000 km. my wife's truck .remote pmd on cooler
    89 GMC sierra SLE 1500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.2 720000 km engine swap at 665000 km because of broken oil cooler line. 6 bolt wheels.
    Waldon wheelloader repowered with a 6.2 na

Wink

This will be going into a Chevy 4x4 K3500.
    This is a Side Mounted Turbo model.

Here is a preliminary look at what the pan will look like. I will be using the old 6.5 pan, chopping 3 inches out of the upper portion where the girdle displaces it.

The pan rail is being fabricated on a CNC router and will be welded to the pan. The bottom end of the pan will be deepend and the oil pickup will be relocated accordingly.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...cationcopy.jpg

Mike

This photo should give you an idea what member Andrew Ashwill did to create an aluminum pan for his deep skirted 6.5 block.

Do you think this new motor is available through a GM dealer?
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

The p400 is still "Pre-production" and currently runs with hummer oil pans only. Since they have no immediate plans to make a commercial pan to fit trucks... it will be some time before you are able to purchase one from your local Goodwrench dealer.

Pan takes shape:

Glass beading, solvent bath, and powder coat happens tomorrow.
    The pan flange was cut by Industrial Laser Cutting in Delta BC. The pan stretching and welding was performed by Bryan Taylor at Specialty Welding Services in Port Kells, BC.

Mike

That turned out sweet. If you don't mind me asking, how much is it going to cost for just the oil pan work?

Not cheap! If I had more time, I have welding buddies who would have fabricated the whole thing from scratch for nothing, but I needed to have this done professionally and quick.

Producing the Steel Flange: $100

Welding the cut down pan to this flange which included tapering the pan to the contours of the flange. Adding capacity to the pan which included cutting out the bottom and adding 3 inches in depth: Cost: $500 7-8 hours of time.

Powder coating is normally a $30 job, but I needed it rush and am at their mercy for color: $50

Expensive... Yes, but I will have approximately 2.5 gallons of oil capacity on a custom pan with no issues.

The oil pump pickup tube must be dropped 3" deeper into the pan as well. I'll be shopping at my local Mopac Auto Supply for an aftermarket unit later today.

Mike

Been around the fabrication and performance Boat/Car/Truck stuff for years.
    This is a very nice job and this whole package is going to be something to be proud of.

Well done and thank you for sharing all the wonderful pictures with us.

Best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks for the positive feedback Robyn. I don't mind paying good money to have a craftsman do the job right and in a timely fashion.

Here are a few powder coated pictures.

The Moroso oil pickup is going in tomorrow. Hopefully I can provide some install shots after that.
    Mike

There is always a just reward for a job well done.

This setup when all installed should yield a very long lived power plant that will do just what it was meant to do.

Now if someone will produce a retrofit oil pan for the AMG engine I can see that it would be a seller.

It will be interesting to see what the interest is in using the new AMG/GEP engines in the trucks and Burbs.

Unfortunately there are so many owners that are unable to pony the $$$ for one of the new long block assemblies and will be stuck using the old eggshell blocks that were produced by GM

I do have a question here, does this new engine have the forged crank??

Now Its seems that the AMG engine as produced would drop right into the older trucks with the solid front axle, especially if they have been lifted some. Should not be any clearance issues there.

Gawd I love it when a plan comes together.

Best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Nice work Mike! Say, it was good to talk to you in BC last Saturday... I saw you leave BD's with an arm load of 6.5 stuff....

Jim

Wink

Robyn, This P400 long block incorporates a 1 piece girdle with the forged steel crank. This should contain the madness.

They tell me this long block was designed to take the extra weight of a fully dressed HMMWV. These Hummers now exceed 15,000 lbs due to the heavy armor plating installed to keep the guys from getting blown up. The little 6.5's were not holding up to the abuse of this extra payload.

Jim, It was really nice to meet you at BD's Dyno Day. The place was full of diesel testosterone!! Some Big Money rigs there too. Ya.. I got a full set of new guages and a "honkin big" downpipe... a 4" exhaust should finish it off!

The pan fit beautifully... it doesn't hang too low, and I will probably get a skid plate under it to finish it off.

I'll drop more pictures after the pan goes on... and I'll try to get some better internal pics after I install the oil pickup tube tomorrow and button up the pan.
    Last edited by JetBoater; 04-10-2008 at 20:08. Reason: picture missing

The oil pickup tube was installed and the pan was bolted on today.

Jim spotted this little thing on a previous picture... What is it? Oil spray nozzle or ? I took a picture before the pan went on:

I am finished, the rest is up to my mechanic... should rumble by the end of next week.

Mike

If you haven't already done it, you might want to pick up some 10mm transmission bellhousing bolts. Your original engine used 3/8" SAE. Some of the bolt heads have studs on the head end that allow fastening things like fuel lines, starter heat shield, and ground straps, so I'd probably visit a local dealer for the OE bolts - asking for 1999+ model year bolts.

Thanks for the pics. The first pic does look like a piston oil squirter.... Was the end of the prong hollow?

Jim

Thanks for the awesome pics, I'm seeing some very different things internally in this engine.

Besides the structural changes to the bottom end with the block extension and forged crank there is still more.

Check out the connecting rods, they're different as well. They now have bolts on the caps instead of the studs and nuts (don't know if that's a plus there tho), and check out the now enlarged small end of the connecting rod on the wrist pin. It's much larger and the piston is modified with it.

I did have one question that I coudln't quite make out in the image. The front timing cover looks to no longer use the 4 small 10mm headed bolts that would normally tie into the oil pan (through the oil pan to the cover).

Are they simply not used any more?

Great photos! If you're interested in selling the cast aluminum pan, let me know - I think I can fit it on my motorhome (assuming the bolt pattern's the same) - it looks like it has more capacity than the stock pan...
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Rusty, That pan wouldn't work for you because of the girdle and how that girdle matches the angle of the aluminum front cover. However, Peninsular's marine pan would be a direct bolt-on, if it'll fit your MH. Peninsular's increased capacity marine 6.5 pan is similar in profile to the new AMG pan.

Jim