Thread: Gasoline in my 6.6 Duramax

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gasoline in my 6.6 Duramax

I own a 2004 GMC with 33k miles.
    Last night my designated pumped gasoline in my Duramax.
    Gas gauge was in the RED and pumped $20 of unleaded gas.
    My truck quit after driving about 10 miles up a montain road.
    How much "long term" damage might this have caused ?
    Do I dare take it to GMC dealer to drain gas and purge fuel lines
    since they might VOID my extended warranty ?
    Thanks

Siphon the tank out well and fill with fresh fuel and change fuel filter.
    The unit should recover ok. The Durabucks does not use a pump like the 6.5 so it should be ok once you feed it what it likes.
    RC

I talked to the Gale Bank Engineering tech guys and told me that if
    the engine shut down at idle,they wouldn't be concerned.
    The fact that it shut down under a load climbing a mountain
    is a concern.
    I realize there are other threads regarding this but my concern is the
    high concentration of gasoline versus diesel in my tank at the time of shutdown.
    Thanks

Arrow

There will be several here that will preach otherwise, but I say no harm done. My significant other(s) made a habit of pumping the wrong fuel into EVERY Diesel (5.7, 300D, 6.2, 7.3, 6.5, 6.6) I've had since day one. It's gotten much better lately, though.

If you have $20 of #2 in it, that's not much, these days. I say fill'er up, bleed it, and run out the fuel. Fill up again at 1/2 tank, and don't look back. Adding a little extra additive in the meanwhile will help with the missing lubrication. The gas at less than 25% won't hurt anything. At all. If it makes you feel better, drain the tank first, but nothing will be gained.

Anyone that believes otherwise can show up with evidence gas has ever harmed a Diesel engine. If the Diesel concentration is too little, the engine just quits. Only damage that can happen is lack of lubrication if the mix is ran for too long. Add some lube, and don't worry about it. Don't worry about changing the fuel filter, either, unless you think you got some dirty gas. If you think you've never ran gas in your Diesel engine, think again. There will be at least 5% in every tank you pump from your favorite supplier, and most of the time much more. Pull a sample and check it out. You may be surprised.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

It's not a good thing to do, but it's done and you are not the first. 9 out of 10 drain, refill, etc w/o issues. Occasionally we hear of the poor guy who paid $15k for a new engine (or submitted to Insurance) which was probably unnecessary.

I think there are a lot of scammers out there that would try to rip a guy off in this position...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Change out the filter as well. I say no harm done.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Dmax,

Very nice having you around. Thanks.
    Eddie
    ---------
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD CC/LB (LBZ)
    211,000 miles / DVD player
    Kennedy Diesel Tuned Computer
    Manually extended towing mirrors
    Winter Grill Cover/screen
    Tough Country front bumper
    12,000# Warn Winch
    KC Fog Lights
    KC 130w Driving Lights
    Bradford Built Flatbed
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    More things covered by crochet than I'll admit.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyhauler View Post
    Dmax,

Very nice having you around. Thanks.
    You're welcome, alway.

Was there a reason you're in THIS thread? Not sayin'?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I'd agree w/JK. I've had the pleasure(???)of doing that to both my 99 L65 AND the DMAX in the 99. Both times, it took me almost 20 gal(it's a 42 gal tank)before I smelled something amiss(OK, I'm SLOW but remember, I'm OLD). I just went in & bought a gallon of oil, put it in the tank & went on.
    The 6.5L ran another 100K before it gave way to the DMAX. The DMAX about 2K w/no problems.
    Granted, neither time it ran very far before I added the oil.
    Gordon Marks
    Tampa, FL (Valrico, FL actually)
    99 Suburban C2500 W/LB7
    55 Series 1 3600
    33 Chevy 4dr street Rod
    64 Biscayne 409 NSS
    "10.81@124.65"]10.81@124.65 3920lbs.
    gordon@marksair.com

Default Just takes some work to correct.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Allison, Duarmax 6.6L:
    Put 24 gals of gas into the tank that still had about 1.5 gals of diesel remaining.
    Drove 9 miles. Other that a slight increase in diesel noise everything seemed OK. Parked it and shut it down.

Returned to truck 2 hours later, would not restart. Tried 3 times, then flashed back to image of the pump and realized I grabbed the wrong nozzle.
    Smelling the filler spout confirmed the error. Embarrassing tow truck ride home.

Fixed it by:
    Used a siphon pump and several gas containers to empty tank.
    Replaced fuel filter.
    Added 5 gals diesel.
    When priming filter, I kept pumping until only diesel came out the bleeder port.
    Caught overflow in a drain pan.

Ready to try starting. Figured I'd give it 3 tries for 10 secs each.
    First and second tries did nothing but crank the engine and further purge the fuel lines.
    On the third try it fired up, ran erratic for about 10 secs, then smoothed right out.

Drove to gas station filled it with diesel and normal engine sounds and exhaust smell returned. All seems to be fine now.
    Phew!

My gardener just scored 25 gals of free lawnmower gas with a little diesel fuel additive.

Quote Originally Posted by pascuzzo View Post
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Allison, Duarmax 6.6L:
    Put 24 gals of gas into the tank that still had about 1.5 gals of diesel remaining.
    Drove 9 miles. Other that a slight increase in diesel noise everything seemed OK. Parked it and shut it down.

Returned to truck 2 hours later, would not restart. Tried 3 times, then flashed back to image of the pump and realized I grabbed the wrong nozzle.
    Smelling the filler spout confirmed the error. Embarrassing tow truck ride home.

Fixed it by:
    Used a siphon pump and several gas containers to empty tank.
    Replaced fuel filter.
    Added 5 gals diesel.
    When priming filter, I kept pumping until only diesel came out the bleeder port.
    Caught overflow in a drain pan.

Ready to try starting. Figured I'd give it 3 tries for 10 secs each.
    First and second tries did nothing but crank the engine and further purge the fuel lines.
    On the third try it fired up, ran erratic for about 10 secs, then smoothed right out.

Drove to gas station filled it with diesel and normal engine sounds and exhaust smell returned. All seems to be fine now.
    Phew!

My gardener just scored 25 gals of free lawnmower gas with a little diesel fuel additive.
    You did good! That's basically what I would recommend anyone do for a situation like yours.

Like what you mentioned, the fuel mixture can be and should be used. It's too expensive to waste. Just use it in an engine that isn't too picky - like a lawn mower. If the mixture is mostly diesel, I'd only use 10-20% of the gas/diesel mix per lawn mower tank and the balance straight pump gas. Jim

A couple years ago I put gas in my diesel engine, it sat for a week or so, it now cranks and runs after I drained the tank and lines but only when you prime the filter, once you quit priming it quits running. What could this be

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

You could have a leak in the filter housing, allowing air in which shuts it down.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Angry Gas in my 6.6 duramax

So I need allite help here.
    So my fuel light came on with range of 64 miles. Stopped and BP talking to my wife, grabbed the green handle and started filling my truck up. My truck was still on, I ended up putting 24 gallons of gas in my truck that's when I noticed it wasn't diesel. I shut off my truck after about 2-3 minutes of idling and got towed to the dealership.
    Im curious if anyone knows how much fuel is burned at idle, should I be worried the engine is damaged? The truck was running just fine before I shut it off. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Dustin

Drain the tank and filter replace with fresh diesel and some 2 cycle oil.
    Start the truck and use it the way you have in the past.
    Gasoline will not damage the engine,if the gas concentration gets to high the engine will stop running because it wasn't designed to run on gas.
    About the only damage that could happen would be to the pumps and injectors from the gas being very dry.But for the short amount of time the gas would have been in the system,don't worry about it.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dgause View Post
    So I need allite help here.
    So my fuel light came on with range of 64 miles. Stopped and BP talking to my wife, grabbed the green handle and started filling my truck up. My truck was still on, I ended up putting 24 gallons of gas in my truck that's when I noticed it wasn't diesel. I shut off my truck after about 2-3 minutes of idling and got towed to the dealership.
    Im curious if anyone knows how much fuel is burned at idle, should I be worried the engine is damaged? The truck was running just fine before I shut it off. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Dustin
    Welcome aboard!

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Let the dealer flush the system and run the diagnostics. They have a procedure for just that. If you didn't hear/see/smell anything remarkable or catastrophic, it likely wasn't an issue. While the fuel system does cycle a lot more fuel than it burns, it isn't really much at idle. It's entirely possible the gas never made it to the pump, or not enough to cause a problem. The key is getting it flushed out and replaced with some fresh #2.

Also, if you have comprehensive insurance coverage, it will almost always cover the expense.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A