Thread: MPG with new 6.6?

Default MPG with new 6.6?

Hi all,
    It's getting about time to get a new truck. (next year or so)
    Anybody have any real world highway mpg data with the latest version 6.6? Won't be towing all the time so unloaded MPGs are important as we travel quite a bit between homes.
    Of the many Youtube channels I watch, one of the guys (Outdoors with the Morgans) owns 2 2023 1 tons. One Ford, One GM, both diesels. Mike Morgan is saying that with about 5K miles on both, the Ford is rocking the MPGs. It is producing hand calculated 23+ on the highway with the GM about 17.5. Both drop to 12 (+/-) towing. I understand neither is broke in yet, but man, that is a big difference.
    Mike likes both of them so this isn't a Ford/Chevy feud thing. He's likes both and is keeping both.
    Any experience with either?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Around here i don't hear anyone bragging up the new trucks fuel mileage.
    After a delete is done it's a different story.
    But up here deletes are not an issue, nobody checks
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

I hear you about no one bragging. I also think there are so many variables it's difficult to know how the next guy's is going to perform.
    You know, the who "your mileage may vary" thing! I could probably get by the the 1/2 ton 3L.
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Skeptical... I've been hearing a lot lower mpg's (than the Morgan's are reporting) for both Ford and GM. Since 2010 (DPF/DEF intro), all of these diesels have been using fuel to help control emissions, and emissions control has been the over-riding mission imperative for keeping diesel on-road vehicle production alive. And, few people know how to record and calculate fuel economy correctly, due in part because most of us don't drive consistently enough to make statistical sense to produce representative numbers (i.e. all interstate or all local, for example).

Most of us drive in a mix of overlapping speeds/seasons/temperatures/road & weather conditions, which complicates a conclusion about mpg's. Here in the north, there's summer and winter fuel to consider - with varying fuel blends as the fuel companies transition to either summer/winter fuel. I'd need to see a half dozen calculated contiguous tanks of fuel over a fairly short period of time. I record nearly every tank of fuel that goes through Lil Red, along with speeds and road types. I'm pretty sure about what it gets, and under what conditions.

I'm with you Jim,
    I just haven't heard of anyone on here talking about mileage performance of the newest L5P.
    I too record all the fuel run through my trucks and can give accurate statements about their performance. I'm guessing most folks with these new HDs are more interested in towing performance than MPGs.
    But, I'm still asking!
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDavy View Post
    I'm with you Jim,
    I just haven't heard of anyone on here talking about mileage performance of the newest L5P.
    I too record all the fuel run through my trucks and can give accurate statements about their performance. I'm guessing most folks with these new HDs are more interested in towing performance than MPGs.
    But, I'm still asking!
    d
    There are a couple of "sticky" forum threads here in the Duramax 6600 forum that gets input from lots of people. Most of the info is for the older Duramax engines, but it can help to mold an opinion about mpgs in general. In the meantime, let us know what you've been getting with your current truck. Not many document fuel economy as well as you have, so your info would be important. Thx, Jim

BTW... Ms Morgan might be part of the draw to their Youtube channel...

Thanks Jim,
    My fuel records are split between paper and a "note" on my iPhone. I've recently noticed the "Fuelio" app. The engineer in me wants to do it all in excel, but it really isn't that important. Since I'm retired you'd think I have time to transfer it all to excel.... Retirement doesn't seem to work that way! I'll add some info to the MPG threads as i get around to it....
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

I use an ap called FillUp. It allows you to include or add notes, so I put in little service notes like oil changes, too.

You can export everything in comma separated text files. (CSV)
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

I'll have to take a look at that John! Thanks for a that tip.
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC