Thread: Proud owner of 99 k3500 6.5 with questions

Default Proud owner of 99 k3500 6.5 with questions

I just brought home a 99 k3500 crew cab srw long bed, its got the 6.5 in with a heath diesel towing computer and cooling system and waste gate controller. I noticed comming home that the truck only got up to 165-175 on the coolant temp with a 44-50 out side air temp, is this normal? Is there a problem with it running too cool? It does already have a pmd relocator and 4 in exhaust and aftermarket down pipe, I think the only thing I am going to do is remove the muffler. Its currently running about 10 psi of boost which from reading seems normal, what is the max boost I can run and How do I adjust it with the aftermarket waste gate controller? I look forward to all the advice and getting to know you guys, Thanks in advance.

Chris

HI and congrats on the new rig.

I will venture a guess that the thing has 180F stats in the system.
    This combined with the fact that the gauges on these trucks are ????? at best is likely the reason.

In cool ambient temps the coolant temps can fall off quite a bit when the stat opens and the cooler water in the radiator comes back into the engine.

Keep an eye on the temps as summer gets here, my bet is that it will stay a tad higher.

This truck should have dual stats, its always possible that one stat is stuck open or ???

175F will not hurt the engine. The factory stats were 190/195 to aid in emissions, but I will say this, cooler is better as far as engine longevity.

Running 190/195 Stats places the engine in the top of the HEAT limit really quick in the summer time.
    210F is really all you want to see for any length to time when working the thing.

10 PSI is a good boost level, but you can crank the nut on the turbo master (waste gate control) in a little and bump things up to about 12-14 MAX

Going more than this is not a great plan.

The turbo master has a rod on it with a spring. Tightening the nut will make the boost go up.

Try a couple full turns on the nut and see what happens.
    Its a try and see thing.

You can go one turn and try it if you like.

Very unexact science on these, just fiddle with it until your happy.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

what parts are included in the cooling upgrade?

Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    what parts are included in the cooling upgrade?

Nick
    If it's on your 94 you will need two new thermostats, crossover, and a high output water pump at the least. While you are in there it wold be a good time to update your timing chain if it isn't a fresh one. Or a gear drive.

Might freshen up your heater hoses and lower hose too. IIRC, you will be changing the uper hose to fit the new crossover.

While everything is out clean the radiator inside & out as well as the a c condensor and oil cooler. You wouldn't believe all the trash and dirt that collects in and between these.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

the cooling upgrades consist of the hi flow water pump and differnt fan/clutch. Also does any one know a good place to buy a stock air filter box, mine is all hacked up and missing the cover and it has a dirt and old k&n filter and I can olny run a clamp on style filter right now. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris.snow View Post
    the cooling upgrades consist of the hi flow water pump and differnt fan/clutch. Also does any one know a good place to buy a stock air filter box, mine is all hacked up and missing the cover and it has a dirt and old k&n filter and I can olny run a clamp on style filter right now. thanks
    If your going to do the fan and clutch you might want to check what Mr. Kennedy has to offer. He is a vendor here and well supported, just check the vendors list at the top.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold