Thread: 6.5 swap

Have almost got my 6.5 turbo swap done to my 80 model dually. I have run the engine some to check for leaks and such. I'm getting a unburnt fuel smell out of the exhaust. I'm running a factory turbo setup and 6.5 injectors with a 6.2 pump. Truck starts within a turn or so of the starter. Could it just need to be run somemore to built heat and get the rings seated? Or be a timing issue?

twaddle Guest

Hi odee,
    Usually if a diesel engine is not burning fuel properly it appears at the exhaust as white or black smoke depending on the amount of unburnt fuel and the cause.
    I don't know if your engine is a rebuild or a good second hand.

If the engine is running sweet without any missing the unburnt fuel may be from the initial turning over on initial fire up, this unburnt fuel can lie in the manifolds or exhaust pipes and can take some time to clear.

The engine will need a loaded run to get everything sealing and firing properly at working temperature.
    Getting it to full operating temperature is really important.

Good luck

Jim Twaddle
    Biggar, Scotland.

my engine is a fresh rebuild first diesel I have tried to do. I guess I will finish up the exhaust tonight and work on getting some control of the turbo and try to get it out for a run on the road. thanks