Thread: GM 6.5 Cooling Mod Kit

I've recently purchased a 6.5 Turbo Diesel Cooling Upgrade Kit from SSDiesel Supply and have installed it as instructed. This kit is supposed to upgrade the the cooling system to the 1997 plus cooling specs. However, the instructions of the new kit state that on the 1993 and earlier engines equiped with the manual fuel injection, it requires modification of the throttle bracket. I need to know if anyone in the forum has bought and installed this kit and has information about how the throttle bracket is to be modified. I also have another problem with this kit. The fast idle solenoid plunger will hit the new kits upper radiator hose casting of the new crossover pipe. I've submitted these problems to this companys tech support and they have told me that they don't know how the bracket is to be modified and that I'm their first person to ask for modification details of the throttle bracket. I haven't received their reply about the crossover pipe problem yet. Needing help!

rjschoolcraft Guest

Welcome to the Diesel Page.

The modification that you speak of was actually pioneered here. There is significant information available in the reprint volumes concerning exactly what you desire to do. The vendor you bought the kit from is a recent entrant into the GM 6.5 market and doesn't really have the background that others have.

See The 6.5 Book for more information. This book contains an article that will give you the answer you need.

Barry Nave Guest

If you would of bought from JK, IIRC has the Throttle Bracket.
    He should be able to hook you up with one.

Dezman125 Guest

Hi
    I did the throttle bracket mod last year.I got some help from diesel boy,he had some pic's and copys of his templetes he e-mailed me.
    If you do any fabercating it's a job that you can do in a afternoon.
    I started with his templates,then i put my own touches to it.
    One thing i want to pass on is when you think you are ready to do your final welding,make sure your throttle opens fully,i was getting about 3/4 to full and had to do a little more work,on these power challanged engins you don't want to lose any throttle [img]smile.gif[/img]
    If you go to the oliverdiesel web site you can see dieselboys bracket