Thread: 3500HD Dually Outer Rear Wheel Shake

Question 3500HD Dually Outer Rear Wheel Shake

Hi there. I’ve been having an ongoing shake at 60 mph and up. It starts to get pretty bad at around 73 when on the freeway. I happened to be a passenger in my truck and it was bad. There’s been a shake in this truck since I purchased it in 2015. I’ve had numerous tire balances, alignments, even replaced the tires all around. Today I had a man come up to me in a store to say he was following me and noticed the passenger side outer rear wheel was shaking. The inner wheel and left side wheels were not displaying the shake. What could cause this? I’ve never hit anything in the road that would cause a bent wheel. Any ideas?
    Thank you for your time,
    Lisa

Any number of things can damage wheels, and not all of them require you to "hit" something, or may be nothing more than manufacturer's defects that have worsened over time. Improper installation or torque are most common. Cracks are also a possibility, and often aren't easily seen. It helps if you are able to determine where it is bent or damaged, but the end result is the same: new wheel(s). Most of the time, a damaged wheel that causes issues can't be easily seen, so if someone actually saw it appear to be "bent", it's pretty bad. Regardless, it needs to be removed and closely inspected, and if at a tire shop, take a spin on the balancer and checked for run-out. If the truck was purchased used, there's no telling what the previous owner did to it, and may not have known of it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Try swapping in your spare and see if its the wheel
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Or something on the inner wheel that prevents the outer wheel from mounting up true.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

It might be the cords separating in the tire as well.
    Have someone slowly drive the truck and look at the tread on the tires and watch for abrupt changes in the pattern or a bald spot in the tread if you have had the shake for a while.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Ok thank you to all of you who posted suggestions. I have an appointment on Thursday with a shop I used to purge the fuel system after I previously put in unleaded instead diesel. I never was able to get my money back on that. But I found a shop I can trust. He mentioned a bent wheel, an out of round defected tire, torque of the lugs not correct, it not being put on the hub true after I had the tires replaced about 1500 miles ago, and he also mentioned a pin the outer wheel has to go on?? I purchased this truck brand new in 2015 and I’ve taken good care of her. Hopefully it’s something easy and not expensive. I’m learning slowly. I’ve learned a lot just coming on this forum. Thank you again.

No pins on your wheels. That was a thing years ago on ford duallys but never on GM.
    were the tires you put on new?
    My money is on the tire,i mounted a good used tire for a trailer spare for my sister in law yesterday.Took it off the machine and rolled it about 4 feet and felt a bulge in the tread-face,separated belts in a chinese tire with 90% tread left.Waste of money buying chinese tires unfortunately.The rubber cracks way before the rubber wears out,unless they are on a daily driver.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

I purchased Michelin LTX AT, which what was on the truck when I bought it new. The tires only have around 3000 miles on them. The shop I took it to rebalanced all of the tires. He noted a couple wheels appear to be slightly bent. Not sure what could cause this since I don’t offroad and never hit anything. My wheels were between 2-4 ounces out of balance each. He also noted the drivers side front looked like it was bulging in the center. I immediately took it back to America’s Tire where I purchased the tires. They reimbursed my money I spent to have the rebalance done, which was awesome. They inspected the tire and said there were no defects. After the rebalance it rides much smoother but still has a slight vibration.