Thread: Colorado- 6.2 Mechanic

Default Colorado- 6.2 Mechanic

Hey Folks,
    Ignore my last post about the Transmission tube, I ordered it from Monster transmissions, quick response people to work with. With 100K miles on my C3500, time to replace the glow plugs. (per my new copy of the book) Any recommendations for a mechanic who enjoys working on these old trucks?

Thanks

if you have ever changed spark plugs in a gas engine,then you can handle the glow plugs.
    The only thing you have to worry about is if the ends of the plugs have swollen.If they are fine it's a hour job if you take your time
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Default Colorado Mechanic recommedation

Thanks for taking the time to write me back. If its as easy as changing out spark plugs and making sure you don't strip them putting back in. I'm in. Just read in the manual, something about tip braking off, grease on index finger and removing,,,,,,scared me.

It really is as easy as spark plugs, with that one exception. Thread care is the same, though (use anti-seize during reinstall).

If one or more is swelled, it won't come out easily, and is often best just tightened back in and ignored, at least until you have more time/resources. The engine will start and run fine with a couple/few dead plugs in all but the coldest climate, and messing with a swelled plug too much increases the risk it will break off in the cylinder.

Loosen it then twist and tug. Spraying it with some PB Blaster and coming back later can help (don't use too much, you don't want that in the cylinder). Often, a build-up of soot can make them seem like they're swelled, but the soot will remove with some working it. If it stops dead and won't move any more, just tighten it back in. Removing a broken tip is most often simple and only requires removing the injector (also not unlike spark plugs) and following a few simple steps.

If the plugs have been replaced new within the last 15-20 years, they aren't likely to be swelled, in any case. Later plugs will burn out before they swell. If yours are original (9G), it's a good idea to replace them with recent design plugs (60G or good aftermarket quick-heats), even if they still work and aren't swelled, to prevent the entire issue.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com