Thread: 6.2/6.5 Dyno Data

Arrow 6.2/6.5 Dyno Data

Knowing what to expect when buying performance products for your 6.5 should be a part of your shopping experience, and advertised power gains should be reflected by those seen during real-world tests. Though individual trucks and powertrains can produce some variability in the power they produce with a particular vendor's performance programming, the averages should reflect reality. The following information is presented here to provide a historical perspective on 6.5 power going all the way back to 1997 (yes, we've been doing this a long time), and to provide a reality check for advertised performance gains.

The stock L65 6.5L TD, which is rated at 190 FW horsepower, has produced time and time again a rear wheel power in the 150-160 range on a chassis dyno. This is roughly 75% (or slightly better) of rated flywheel power. A performance program advertised at 100 additional horsepower (nice round number) should produce an additional 75 on top of the 150-160 the truck made stock, for a total of 225-235 RWHP. I should point out that a number of dyno experts believe adding power does not automatically mean a percentage of that power is also lost to the drivetrain. They say that if a stock 6.5 dynos at 150 rear wheel horsepower, adding a product advertised to add 100 horsepower should produce very close to that at the rear wheels - meaning 250 horsepower RW total.

Is an additional 75-100 RW horsepower even possible - due to programming alone (with no other mods)? Anything is possible, but I've yet to see it - in more than 11 years of watching these trucks being dyno'ed and looking at the dyno data. Those 6.5's that have produced 225-250 RW (and there have been a few) were running a larger turbocharger, an intercooler, large exhaust system, and other internal engine mods. It would be difficult to get there with the factory turbocharger.... and the engine needs a few other mods that allow producing that level of power with reasonable durability.

Early Ford, Dodge and Duramax data are also included to show what those diesel trucks produced during dyno days in years past. Plus, you can see what the LB7 Duramax, with a factory rating of 300 FWHP, actually produces on the dyno (about 75-80% of rated FW power). As a way of comparison, the LB7 Duramax produces 300 FWHP with fueling for 20-PSI boost pressure. Something to think about when attempting to get 300 FWHP or 240-250 RWHP out of a 6.5.

The 1997 & 2000 data were produced on BD's original chassis dyno. All 2002 & newer newer data were produced on their new dyno. There are several different manufacturers of chassis dynos, some of which have been around for quite a while. The age of the dyno, its calibration, correction factors applied, and the operator can all produce some variability in the dyno data. The newest dynos are more accurate than early versions, with the newest ones being able to interact with the vehicle through the OBD II diagnostic port as the run is being recorded. Because of the potential for variability, it is best to dyno your truck/Suburban when stock to establish a baseline. Then, when adding performance tuning, you'll know with reasonable certainty that the power increase you've recorded is a real number. Again, the stock L65 6.5TD should produce a stock RWHP somewhere in the 150-160 range. The numbers shown here represent a 10 year time frame, and should help you identify a good baseline.

A big thanks to www.bd-power.com for providing the public with an opportunity to dyno their trucks.

The following dyno data represents what was recorded while visiting BD's spring 1997 Dyno Day.

The following dyno data represents what was recorded while visiting BD's spring 2000 Dyno Day.

The following dyno data represents what was recorded while visiting BD during the 2002 Rendezvous in BC Canada.

The following dyno data represents what was recorded while visiting BD's spring 2005 Dyno Day.

Feel free to post your own dyno data...

For a related topic, see: This Thread.
    Last edited by More Power; 05-07-2008 at 15:38. Reason: add to - update

*and one year later after thread was made*

Here is what my truck performed earlier this year. Planning on running again next year or later this year. Maybe I'll get a different e-prom...

Thats with the older version of BD Performance E-prom, intercooler, 4" exhaust, TurboMaster set at 12 psi.

My next run i am planning on running 15 psi but not sure yet

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43CDDHC5Jr0

dyno doesn't start until about 1:30
    1995 K2500 Silverado 6.5TD - 161K miles

Default Dyno Run

I looked for, but couldn't find the post that had been set up for posting dyno
    runs and numbers.
    A local shop with a mustang dyno was offering tests for $50 so I pulled in. Took a little to get set up. The first pull, the tech just opened the door, didn't turn on the fans. And the room got rather black. After that he turned on the fans.
    Did 3 pulls, the 3rd one, the optical sensor stopped reading above 3,300 rpm. So only got the first two verified.
    I am running the 36" Mudders again, and they didn't have an entry for a 6.5 in their computer, so the tech matched it up as close as he could.
    First run pulled 163 Hp, 361 tq.
    Changed a few things and did second run.
    Netted 191 HP at 3,000 rpm and 376 tq at 2,100 rpm.
    I felt these were decent numbers for the truck, so far.
    Also am going back to pick up an almost new Cummins intercooler for $100.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    I looked for, but couldn't find the post that had been set up for posting dyno
    runs and numbers.
    A local shop with a mustang dyno was offering tests for $50 so I pulled in. Took a little to get set up. The first pull, the tech just opened the door, didn't turn on the fans. And the room got rather black. After that he turned on the fans.
    Did 3 pulls, the 3rd one, the optical sensor stopped reading above 3,300 rpm. So only got the first two verified.
    I am running the 36" Mudders again, and they didn't have an entry for a 6.5 in their computer, so the tech matched it up as close as he could.
    First run pulled 163 Hp, 361 tq.
    Changed a few things and did second run.
    Netted 191 HP at 3,000 rpm and 376 tq at 2,100 rpm.
    I felt these were decent numbers for the truck, so far.
    Also am going back to pick up an almost new Cummins intercooler for $100.
    Those sound like good numbers for the 6.5. Three pulls is a good number. The engine warms up for each successive pull, and the numbers can increase a little with each one - to a point.

Thanks for posting.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 04-13-2009 at 13:16. Reason: update

If you want to sure. That's probably where it belongs anyways.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

Wink Good numbers?

If a stock 6.5 dyno's around 150 - 160 h.p. shouldn't a truck that has high boost, upgraded exhaust, marine injectors and IP turned up put out more than 31 - 41 more HP? These numbers sound low to me. I was thinking more along the line of 225 Hp / 440 ft lb tq. Maybe the old girl is getting a little tired. 6.5 DD when I get out your way I'll have to race you.
    93 2500 - best truck I ever owned
    Sold

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4 EC SB Dark Blue
    3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD
    Was S then F code now SSD ECM (used - it was cheap - not my first choice)

Ya, I think it should have made more power to. But, I am starting to doubt whether I actually have a higher pop injector in the truck.
    That, and the tech said the 36's soak up power nicely. And judging by seat of the pants feeling when I switched to them, he's right. I picked up a cummins intercooler while i was down there, so that is going to be getting hooked up soon.

If you come across another cummings intercooler please let me know. I was going for the DYI but I like the placement of the Cummings cooler behind the grill better. Those 36's really must turn your gear ratio's up.
    93 2500 - best truck I ever owned
    Sold

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4 EC SB Dark Blue
    3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD
    Was S then F code now SSD ECM (used - it was cheap - not my first choice)

Dave PM me. They have one more sitting at the shop. I picked mine up for $112 with tax
    As for the tires, I took them off this morning. What a difference in power. I don't even want to think what running them with something lower than 4.10's would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBr View Post
    If a stock 6.5 dyno's around 150 - 160 h.p. shouldn't a truck that has high boost, upgraded exhaust, marine injectors and IP turned up put out more than 31 - 41 more HP? These numbers sound low to me. I was thinking more along the line of 225 Hp / 440 ft lb tq. Maybe the old girl is getting a little tired. 6.5 DD when I get out your way I'll have to race you.
    It takes a lot of work to get to those numbers, which is where I was in 2004 with my truck. See the dyno data here. Plus, the 6.5 doesn't last very long there without doing work inside. Cracked piston and cracked main web followed.

I don't have new numbers yet, but the Pull-Off performance suggests that I am significantly higher now. With durability, too.

ronniejoe, any idea of when you are going to be doing some pulls with your 6.5?

Hopefully, maybe, this summer.

Rehashing an old post my question is why would parasitic losses increase as engine HP is added?

I don't buy the % of loss. I believe that the parasitic loss is a number. True you can make it a percentage, but that is a meaningless statistic.

Vendors hide behind the veil of mystery by making flywheel HP claims that cannot be measured, but sure sound more impressive...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Rehashing an old post my question is why would parasitic losses increase as engine HP is added?

I don't buy the % of loss. I believe that the parasitic loss is a number. True you can make it a percentage, but that is a meaningless statistic.

Vendors hide behind the veil of mystery by making flywheel HP claims that cannot be measured, but sure sound more impressive...
    I agree with you John, It is just a number that people use.... I think the only way a person could come up with a "real or close" number would be to have a motor dyno'd on a motor dyno and then dyno the truck after installing the motor, then you could have a close number for that truck I think.... I know that dyno's very from one to another, and the numbers need to be looked at with that in mind....
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook