Thread: What Year to Buy

Question What Year to Buy

Hello. Recent member, first post. My question - What year truck should I purchase? My wife currently commutes with a 2001 VW TDI. We love the car and fuel economy but it hasn't handled the recent midwest Winters' snow too well. She would like a newer SUV but given the cost vs. practicality ratio of one, I've talked her into a GMC shortbox crewcab. I am selling my 2001 longbox which she drives when the weather is unfavorable. So, what model year/ engine should I persue? I'd like a GMC LT, Duramax, Crewcab, 4x4, Shortbox. It would be used mainly as a Winter vehicle commuting 25 miles one way. I still have a work truck that does all the towing. I'm leaning towards an '03 or '04 LB7. In regards to this and fuel economy, dependability, ease of maintenance, warranty/recalls, and cost- what are your opinions? Thanks.

This is my first post to!

I think your on the right track with the LB7 dependability however the injectors are a pain in the butt to change. I think you would be doing good if you got a 03-04 LB7 or 06-07 LBZ. Are you going to keep it stock?
    [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]04' Dmax [EMAIL="11.44@121"]11.44@121[/EMAIL] on #2 only 791rwhp[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]3rd place super street NHRDA AZ nationals 3-6-10[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]1st place modified Dyno AZ nationals 3-6-10[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]1st place Diesel Wars drags 3-20-10[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7u-auSEv8&feature=player_embedded[/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]^^11sec video^^[/CENTER]

I'd opt for the '06-'07, given today's market. Lots of reasonable private party deals to be had, injector replacement much less of an issue than any of the LB7s.

Too late to own an LB7 unless (initial) price is everything. In the longrun, you'll likely spend more.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Wink Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies! I was leaning towards the LB7 as it seems to be getting a bit better fuel economy but maybe the 6 speed makes up for the newer engines drop like the LLY had originally? In my mind the more emission garb an engine had the more complicated it became? Maybe that's an elementary way of thinking? Is the 06-07.5 more maintenance free than an LB7? Cost is a bit of a factor, as it seems the truck market is quite hot right now. As far as modifications go, I plan to leave suspension, tires and wheels stock. I may persue mods that would enhance fuel economy as it would be a commute vehicle. That was gonna be my next question if I don't find similar posts- what modifications worth persuing to improve fuel economy/performance. I had an 01 crew cab 4x4 longbox that got 19 mpg when I bought it used. As soon as I put 255's on it and cranked the torsion bars a bit the economy dropped to a consistant 15. I love the truck with the 255's but this one won't get em.

Exclamation LB7 or LBZ?

Ok, Mark. Now you've got me thinking. The LBZ equipped trucks have got my attention. Doing a quick comparison the '06, '07 trucks seem to be about $8,000 to $10,000 more than comparably equipped '03, '04 LB7 trucks. I know this boils down to personal opinion but is this cost difference worth it- long term? I'd like to think so, but $10K is $10K. I don't update vehicles often and intend on keeping this next truck for years and miles to come. Anyone else who has owned both LB7 & LBZ trucks jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by DDiesel View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies! I was leaning towards the LB7 as it seems to be getting a bit better fuel economy but maybe the 6 speed makes up for the newer engines drop like the LLY had originally? In my mind the more emission garb an engine had the more complicated it became? Maybe that's an elementary way of thinking? Is the 06-07.5 more maintenance free than an LB7? Cost is a bit of a factor, as it seems the truck market is quite hot right now. As far as modifications go, I plan to leave suspension, tires and wheels stock. I may persue mods that would enhance fuel economy as it would be a commute vehicle. That was gonna be my next question if I don't find similar posts- what modifications worth persuing to improve fuel economy/performance. I had an 01 crew cab 4x4 longbox that got 19 mpg when I bought it used. As soon as I put 255's on it and cranked the torsion bars a bit the economy dropped to a consistant 15. I love the truck with the 255's but this one won't get em.

I've found that the newer ones once properly tuned will actually do better MPG than the LB7. Both My LLY and LBZ will approach 22mpg while the best my LB7 ever did (pre Kennedy Tuning) was 20.1mpg Keep the tires shorter and the nose at a reasonable height.

Quote Originally Posted by DDiesel View Post
    Ok, Mark. Now you've got me thinking. The LBZ equipped trucks have got my attention. Doing a quick comparison the '06, '07 trucks seem to be about $8,000 to $10,000 more than comparably equipped '03, '04 LB7 trucks. I know this boils down to personal opinion but is this cost difference worth it- long term? I'd like to think so, but $10K is $10K. I don't update vehicles often and intend on keeping this next truck for years and miles to come. Anyone else who has owned both LB7 & LBZ trucks jump in.
    My personal preference is the LBZ/LMM powertrain for quiet, smooth performance. They are pretty soft performance wise when stock, but respond quite well to tuning.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!