Thread: Hummer pump gives +30hp???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hummer pump gives +30hp???

Since my pump seems to be not working correctly I was browsing the internet to see if I could find another pump for my '92 6.2.
    I found this one http://www.vandam4x4.nl/winkel/motor...elpomp-hummer/ the description says it could give 30 extra HP.
    Is that true? Will it even fit my engine?

picture of the pump in question:

Hummer pumps should fit fine.

The 30 HP ?????

The big difference in the MIL pumps is that they are designed to be able to run various fuels of less than stellar lubricity in a pinch and survive.

IIRC the mil pumps can handle Jet fuel and a few other combinations of "Combustible" liquids.

Not sure what the rated HP of the mil spec 6.5's are.

Pump fuel delivery rate is what makes the power, so could be.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

So it's worth a try?
    Getting my old pump rebuild could cost me almost just as much as buying this one.
    Would it be plug&play installation or does the pump have to adjusted or something?

Arrow

A lot of the IP (as well as other components) marketing is misleading. Saying that a pump can allow +x HP, does not mean that it will increase HP in and of itself. I saw nothing in that product description that describes a power increased rate, or how it is accomplished. Just replacing the pump, and making no other modifications, will essentially allow your engine to produce as much power as it would have with your original pump (if it's healthy). The replacement pump may have a higher rate of fuel volume ("turned up"), the same/similar as your original pump was capable of, although a marine/HMMWV grade pump may survive higher stress levels, for longer. Increasing fuel volume for any DB2 pump is as simple as turning a screw. You have to be very careful with this, as too much fuel is not only more smokey at higher throttle positions, it can send the EGT's through the roof (and piston crowns through the floor).

When replacing a pump on a N/A engine, you should install it as calibrated to stock levels, and expect OEM power levels. A new/reman set of injectors should also accompany a new pump. You can optimize power with higher pressure injectors and timing adjustment, but there just isn't much room for improvement on a stock N/A 6.2L engine. If you want to optimize the power, first install an EGT gage and watch it carefully before messing with fuel volume and/or timing. If you want more power than what that leaves you, add a turbo. A healthy stock engine is capable of burning all the fuel you can feed it. The shortfall is air, not fuel. This may sound like an "old school" approach, but we are talking about a 35+ year old design.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

If I look at the specs of the HMMWV model engine it shows that it puts out 185hp.

Horsepower / Torque (at start): 130 hp (97 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 240 lb·ft (325 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
    Horsepower / Torque (at final): 160 hp (119 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 285 lb·ft (386 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
    Horsepower / Torque (US Army HMMWV model): 185 hp (138 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) @ 2,100 rpm

If it's not the pump and/or injectors, (and maybe the open plane inlet manifold)what is it that creates this 180HP instead of the lesser HP of a normal heavy duty engine?

Arrow

Too many variables missing from your specs. Comparing a 1986 N/A 6.2L civilian spec to 2010 military spec is apples and oranges. The MIL spec you show is likely a modern 6.5L with DB2-4911 injection system. They topped out around 170 HP. More than that requires a turbo, or a "disposable engine" situation.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com