Thread: PMD and Injection Pump

Default PMD and Injection Pump

Glad you got your 2000 running again Ontario. I'm new to the PMD troubles and had a few similar questions.
    I bought my 2000 K3500 6.5TD dump that I use for work with 85k non running and sitting for a season from a landscaper in Cle, OH needing the included injection pump installed in Spring of 2018 for $2,700. It's dump worked, it had good tires and some other new parts the previous owner had put on. I installed the included pump and couldn't get it to run. A reputable Akron diesel pump mechanic pulled and tested my IP and told me I it was bad. They installed a new pump for $2000. After a year or so that pump ended up failing and the truck needed towed back to same Akron mech. I went home and I researched and learned about the 6.5TD PMD issue and that my truck already had a relocation kit in the grill. I asked why the PMD was left mounted on the side of the new pump and they claimed it would "void the warranty" on the new pump if they used said existing kit. I argued but they said "it could have failed for any reason, bad gas..." and I trusted their word and paid $1000 for my 2nd reconditioned IP. It was installed the same way, PMD on the IP. It's been 5 months. Now, two pumps, a lot of poor communication and $300k total mech bills later the truck runs well on start up (really well on a cold morning) and then 20 mins after she gets warm she runs poorly all day with higher rpms, speed loss, and vibration at stop lights like the engine is fighting itself. I'm frustrated as hell and feel they're at fault for scamming me on a second pump bc I was naive to the PMD issue. I'm going back to the mech and If they tell me "not our problem/ they can't or won't at the very least rewire my pump to the truck's existing relocation kit as retribution: 1. Can I do damage to my IP when it's running poorly with the faulty PMD issue (even if you putt it down the road gently)? 2. Mech HAS TO know about the 6.5TD PMD issue. Are they scamming/ is this a valid small claims court case? 3. If I do unplug from the stock PMD and switch to the relocation, how do I know the driver that's in the relocation kit on the truck is safe for the pump or that it works? 3. Does using a new driver require engine adjustment or is it plug & play? 4. What is the resistor issue?
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 04-23-2020 at 13:35.

Welcome aboard!

A PMD is a PMD is a PMD. They are all interchangeable, so if there's one there and you plug into it, it will work, if it works. If it doesn't work, the PMD or cable is bad or poorly connected. There's nothing wrong with leaving a PMD on the side of the pump, but you don't have to use that one. It would be handy as a backup, if it works, so no reason to remove it. They are essentially Plug 'n Play. They require a calibration resistor installed in the connector, though. Look into the PMD connector slot. If you see a circuit card at the bottom (spans all the pins), it's there. If you only see bottom at the bottom, it isn't. It will run fine without one, but it won't run optimally and will set a code and the SES lamp, eventually, so get a #5 replacement at your convenience.

That said, your injection pump dilemma is curious. Normally, they are very long-use items, like 100K - 300K miles long, even when rebuilt. If your IP "failure" is actually a PMD failure, then the issue is the shop, and not necessarily the IP. GM and Stanadyne's long-standing policy was, the IP and PMD was a unit component, and they didn't treat them separately. One fail - All fail. Local shops who service them followed suit (can't keep the lights on selling/installing PMD's). It was/is the aftermarket and a handful of local shops that made the separation, and saved a bunch of bucks for owners.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com