Hey guys, Newb here. To the forum and diesels, although I have driven this 92 G30, 6.2, 4l80E for ten years all I did to it was oil changes and brakes.
Couple years ago I had to put an Injection pump. Got a used one from my local wrecker. Fairly straightforward job ( I am an automotive tech in real life, tons of experience) Eyeballed the pump timing per my junker's advice. It ran good so I left it alone and drove it. It had always been tough on cold starts, I recently learned right here that that was probably caused by the temp sensor in the passenger head that had been bypassed.

Going to try to cut to the chase here, just want you guys to know the vehicle. Couple of weeks ago it developed an even rattlier rattle on the freeway. that was easily found to be a loose flexplate. Managed to tighten it without dropping the trans. Next day there was an emergency lunch date 20 miles from work, so I was running to beat the clock, 85 mph speedo pegged. by the time I got back to work it was rattling just as bad as before, and smoking. a lot. I ignored the smoke and ordered up a new flexplate that I installed the next day. The old one wasn't broken but the bolt holes at the crankshaft were hogged out. Changed the oil while it was in the air. Rotella.

Now it is smoking out of one tailpipe all the time, rattles more than what was previously normal, and has a noticeable miss at idle. A couple guys that thought they knew said it was an injector knock, changed four in the smokey bank, bled thoroughly and it's unchanged. I have been told: Head gasket, defective injector, hung valve, stuck rings, and a few to dumb to mention. I was hopint you guys could lend some insight before I get greasy again. Thanks!

BTW, she shows 290,000 on the clock. Don't know any prior history except the Goodwrench reman sticker on trans. please help.