Thread: 6.2/6.5 Hybrid

Default 6.2/6.5 Hybrid

Hello! New member here. I have a famous (https://www.fourwheeler.com/features...984-k5-blazer/ )M1009 Cucv 84 Chevy blazer with the J code 6.2L Diesel. I am looking to get more power when going up steep hills while in route to the trails. It is geared low, 4.56 with 1 ton axles Np208/th400. Top speed 60mph.

I recently bought a 1996 6.5 motor with the turbo. The motor is bad with bent rods but the turbo set up is good. I would like swap the heads or just the precups and turbo set. But I see the injection pump line fittings will not fit the 6.2 injection pump. I am trying to keep it all mechanical.

Can I swap the 6.5 heads and still keep the mechanical 6.2 diesel injection pump?

Would I have to put the 6.5 timing chain, timing cover, water pump plate, water pump, rockers, push rods, valve cover with cdr valve opening, etc on the 6.2?

I already built up the 6.2 with ARP studs, Girdle, gear drive and all new gaskets and accessories.
    Any advice and help will be greatly useful on doing this swap.
    Last edited by 2INSANE; 07-09-2020 at 11:58.

Welcome to TDP

Yes you can do a swap.

Use the 6.5 heads.
    Change the injectors over to the proper POP pressure for the mechanical Injection pump....

The 6.5 heads have a different angle on the injector location....

You will likely need to scare up a set of 1992/93 6.5 injector lines to finish off the swap.

Now....the one caveat.........
    If you have air conditioning installed (Factory type) the turbo will hit the AC box

Without AC and things can be fit in quite nicely.

You don't have to fool with the timing cover, water pump or any of that stuff.

Swap the heads (Use the Felpro gaskets and new head bolts)
    Swap the 92/93 injector lines
    Do your exhaust

Good to go

The original Banks turbo kits for the Square body trucks made very similar if not better power with the 6.2 than the factory 6.5 did.

The Banks turbo kits had better exhaust flow....

You might be better off scaring up a Banks kit and going that route...

No need to rip the engine down and or buy different fuel lines and such.

Just sayin

Have fun

Keep us in the loop....always great to see these venerable older rigs being massaged...
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

Aside from the A/C HVAC interference Robyn mentioned, the exhaust outlet on the factory 1992-2000 6.5 turbocharger points straight down - directly at the frame rail in the 1980s era trucks/Blazers... Only a few inches separate the turbo outlet and the top of the frame rail. Not a good situation. Some have made it work with complicated bends in the downpipe, but it looks ugly.

The best solution is to locate a Banks Sidewinder passenger side exhaust manifold made for the 1980s trucks. To that I'd add a Holset HX-35 wastegated turbocharger. Everything else can be easily fabricated and made to look like you began with a commercial kit.

If your 6.2L heads are in good shape, I'd keep them. For a crawler, low-geared offroader, the small port precups are a good choice anyway, and you won't have to source a set of newer fuel injection lines. Otherwise, you can use a set of 6.5 heads with all of your engine's existing parts (i.e. timing set stuff).

Jim

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Aside from the A/C HVAC interference Robyn mentioned, the exhaust outlet on the factory 1992-2000 6.5 turbocharger points straight down - directly at the frame rail in the 1980s era trucks/Blazers... Only a few inches separate the turbo outlet and the top of the frame rail. Not a good situation. Some have made it work with complicated bends in the downpipe, but it looks ugly.

The best solution is to locate a Banks Sidewinder passenger side exhaust manifold made for the 1980s trucks. To that I'd add a Holset HX-35 wastegated turbocharger. Everything else can be easily fabricated and made to look like you began with a commercial kit.

If your 6.2L heads are in good shape, I'd keep them. For a crawler, low-geared offroader, the small port precups are a good choice anyway, and you won't have to source a set of newer fuel injection lines. Otherwise, you can use a set of 6.5 heads with all of your engine's existing parts (i.e. timing set stuff).

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Welcome to TDP

Yes you can do a swap.

Use the 6.5 heads.
    Change the injectors over to the proper POP pressure for the mechanical Injection pump....

The 6.5 heads have a different angle on the injector location....

You will likely need to scare up a set of 1992/93 6.5 injector lines to finish off the swap.

Now....the one caveat.........
    If you have air conditioning installed (Factory type) the turbo will hit the AC box

Without AC and things can be fit in quite nicely.

You don't have to fool with the timing cover, water pump or any of that stuff.

Swap the heads (Use the Felpro gaskets and new head bolts)
    Swap the 92/93 injector lines
    Do your exhaust

Good to go

The original Banks turbo kits for the Square body trucks made very similar if not better power with the 6.2 than the factory 6.5 did.

The Banks turbo kits had better exhaust flow....

You might be better off scaring up a Banks kit and going that route...

No need to rip the engine down and or buy different fuel lines and such.

Just sayin

Have fun

Keep us in the loop....always great to see these venerable older rigs being massaged...
    Thank you both for that plethora of knowledge! I have a friend that has the banks kit minus the turbo he is selling me for $400.

My next question is... How do I post pictures?? Hehe

Default Friend...

If you dont buy your friends kit, lemme know... Ill buy it, seriously!

If I put the 6.5 heads on the 6.2 block, will the crossover and down pipe clear frame better?

Nope. With the exception of 1982 models (course thread injectors), and van/HMMWV applications (intake bolt and injector angles, short body injectors), the heads are the same externally. The frame clearance issues are the same, regardless.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com