Thread: Using rubber for intake tube

Default Using rubber for intake tube

Considering making an intake for my truck. Don't want to spend the 110 for the kit when I think I could do it myself for a lot cheaper. First off, is it worth the power to make an all round tubing intake over removing the snorkel and keeping that kinked up hose deal that goes to the turbo? and my main question is, can rubber handle the heat to make the intake? I found the perfect hose at intakehoses.com, which says their rubber is rated to 250-275 degrees. Is the heat from the turbo gonna melt this stuff? could do the whole systme for about 40 bucks....
    Sold: 98 2500 ext cab long bed 4x4 auto 166k, Lubrication Specialties oil cooler, FSD cooler, Walking J "feed the Beast" mod, Heath HD lift pump, SSdiesel turbo back exhaust, Heath mechanical boost controller, Softtopper camper top, boost, egt, fuel pressure gauges

1970 El Camino SS, built 355, aluminum heads, Lunati cam, intake, 800 cfm edlebrock, Tremec 5 spd, QA1 Coil over all around, Wilwood discs up front, 3.73 Posi 12 bolt, Viper Red

2012 Audi A3 TDI- Love it! 45 mpg!

Default High quality silicone hose, or?

I'd use high quality silcone hose but too much $$$, rubber maybe ok for awhile.

Snorkel in fender, or? What airbox do you have cylinder filter or panel? If it's a cylinder filter (RPO K47) you would be hard pressed to gain much of anything relating to performance or economy, it's a flip of a coin high flow after market filter, or stock filter?

Outside of retro fitting a Douglas air filter canister system effort insulating airbox is worth the effort. I used aluminum faced foam layered around the box to reduce radiant heat. Wrapping downpipe, or ceramic coating further reduces heat in engine bay.
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

I've been using rubber from intakehoses.com for about 2 years now. Rubber is still soft. But, yes, silicone would be best - just don't think it's neccessary. Here's what I did so far, using the rubber and some aluminum piping from them, too. Eventually I'll build my own box (and enlarge the fender opening), but I found that having the filter out in the open didn't change final EGT's at all. But, for what it would cost, I can't see any negatives from having a box - as long as there is enough space inside the box to allow good air flow all around the filter.

Here's another idea I did that I think will help (or at least not hurt) I removed the extra black plastic material on the top an bottom of the light to allow more air to come in (I haven't actually driven the truck with this mod, though - I did this while the engine was out and it is just now going back in).

On a side note, I think doing these minor things gives more than enough air flow. I'm running a reflashed ECM that is maxing out what the IP can put out and I don't get black smoke with wide open throttle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my thinking is that if I wasn't getting enough air I would see more black smoke?
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

yeah I saw your setup and recommendation of intakehoses.com, and thats what me curious about the rubber since it is a lot cheaper than their silicone, right now I have a K&N filter and was planning on keeping that and pretty much mimicing what you have. how did you attach that vacuum line? DO you have 2 pieces of rubber and a small metal to connect them?
    Sold: 98 2500 ext cab long bed 4x4 auto 166k, Lubrication Specialties oil cooler, FSD cooler, Walking J "feed the Beast" mod, Heath HD lift pump, SSdiesel turbo back exhaust, Heath mechanical boost controller, Softtopper camper top, boost, egt, fuel pressure gauges

1970 El Camino SS, built 355, aluminum heads, Lunati cam, intake, 800 cfm edlebrock, Tremec 5 spd, QA1 Coil over all around, Wilwood discs up front, 3.73 Posi 12 bolt, Viper Red

Vac line? Do you mean the CDR vent line (tuna can looking thing)? I just cut a hole in the rubber elbow. Cut the hole smaller than the vent line as the rubber will stretch.

I used (2) pieces of aluminum tubing. One to connect the two elbows and another to connect the elbow/filter. I think I cut each piece of tubing to about 3 or 4 inches.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

yeah thats what I meant. thanks alot, i am going to rig it up this weekend i think!