Thread: 6.5 intermittent no start help

Default 6.5 intermittent no start help

Hello all

My K2500 Burb is giving me fits with an intermittent crank but no start. PMD cooler under front bumper, new extension harness, 6 month old PMD, #5 resistor, new IP harness. She'll crank, not fire, and there is faint gray smoke at the exhaust. Any suggestions or threads appreciated!
    Cheers
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD
    K&N insert in stock airbox
    Relocated PMD behind front bumper

Is the "wait to start" light coming on when it won't start? I'm wondering if you are experiencing glow plug issues. I have seen electrical issues where the ignition switch starts to fail, causing a scenario where the glow plugs are not engaging, but the engine will still crank over.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

What PMD ?

And try changing it anyhow.
    2nd suspect ignition switch
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

The one in the truck now, that was working is from Advance, 'Original Equipment Remanufactured'; also have one from Pensacola Fuel Injection. Replaced the original earlier the year along with an extension PMD harness both from PFI. The extension developed a bad pin from engine compartment heat, replaced with one from Kennedy Diesel. I had a bout of starting trouble on Tuesday. Started troubleshooting after several hours, re-seated the extension harness plug and she fired right up. Beginning to suspect the IP harness may be the culprit but I'm open to ideas...
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD

Interesting i have never heard of a re-manufactured PMD
    When my 98 6.5 was a computerized truck...
    It was never a daily driver,sometimes it would sit for weeks.
    It went through a number of PMD's even after the remote mount.
    It had numerous electrical gremlins.
    I changed the ignition switch one of the many electrical issues it had over the years.
    I finally changed it to mechanical injection.That was the end of any issues the truck had electrically.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Well as it turns out, replacing the IP harness with a Kennedy one did the business. In the process, however, I found a broken intake manifold runner which added to the time and miles involved. Added a new Kennedy extension harness and she runs and starts great.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD