Thread: Don't trust tech's changing your oil !!!!!!!

Exclamation

Yesterday was the second time a tech at my dealer didn't know how many quarts of oil to put in my truck. Just happened to need fuel after changing oil. (About 15 miles from dealer) So, out of habit checked oil while pumping.
    Not very happy when I didn't see oil on the dipstick
    Realizing its kind of hard to see oil on this dipstick I tried again maybe 3 times, still no oil. Place I'm at doesn't sell any 15-40 or anything CH or CG rated. So, I'm looking at reciept from oil change, says right on it 8 quarts. Now, at least I know it didn't leak out. Figuring I'm only 2 quarts low I'll drive to next store up the road, no oil there either, on to next one, they have it, find somewhat level ground, took 1.5 quarts to low mark. Today I'll check again on level ground, probably gonna need that another half a quart.
    The only thing stopping from shoving 2 empty oil bottles up this tech's $*@ is that I still have 3 free oil changes coming (already had 3). Generally service is good here, service manager is pretty reasonable, easy to get along with. Unfortunatly, I got the "first available" guy changing my oil, probably just got done washing cars!
    So... everyone beware! The guy changing your oil might not have a clue what he's doing.
    Oh yeah, when I gave him my oil sample bottle, he looked at me like I wanted a stool sample, never heard of oil testing.
    There, just needed to vent. Can't wait to change oil myself.
    Hey, if anyting ever goes wrong w/ this motor, I have a receipt showing they only put 8 quarts in it at 5,661 miles!
    2002 Silverado K2500HD DMax/ZF6 LS<br />Reg Cab, LB, G80, Fumoto, <br />DeeZee Blacktread cab/box boards<br />Fisher M/M 2<br />11,000 mi. 10/03/02<br />\'00 Big Bear, 27\" Mud-Bugs, Mac-made toolbox/rollbar<p>So close to stock it ain\'t even funny!

Maybe he was thinking 6.5 They take 8 quarts.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Don't stick up for the tech Joey D, the 6.5 is a totally different engine. Doesn't look anything like the Duramax. These dealers don't care about our trucks. If they break them they get to fix then. Ever heard of job security! Dealers disgust me.
    Got Big Truck 2001 Chevy/Duramax/4X4/6 speed/crew cab/long box

Your "FREE" oil change ended up costing you some money,,I'd be heading RIGHT back to that dealership, with work order in hand, and explain as calmly as I could "heehhehe" that they reimburse me for my $$ I spent on the cheap oil crap I had to put in it etc.. and then have them change the oil again.. oh wait, thats what I DID do when they snapped the crush ring on my drain plug...went back in, was reimbursed for the ORIGINAL oil change that was at that point on my driveway, and all the roads from dealer to my house, the 4 qts of oil I had to put in that was crappy stuff, and then I did NOT pay for the 2nd oil change.

but then again, I'm female, an excuse to be a b*tch!

Brandy [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2001 2500 HD D/A <br />Crew Cab,SB PEWTER <p>No problems current cept the wonderful custom paint \"decals\" she received as part of her 10 day stay at the wonderful dealers- where 91 and 89 meet in New Hampshire- STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still going back there for 3 more free changes. 45$ a pop, gotta keep going. I'll be ready to run synthetic when they're done. Guess I'll have to put a sign under the hood, "10 QUARTS".
    The saddest part to this is that it could have all been different had I got a guy who cared about his job, took a little pride in his work.
    2002 Silverado K2500HD DMax/ZF6 LS<br />Reg Cab, LB, G80, Fumoto, <br />DeeZee Blacktread cab/box boards<br />Fisher M/M 2<br />11,000 mi. 10/03/02<br />\'00 Big Bear, 27\" Mud-Bugs, Mac-made toolbox/rollbar<p>So close to stock it ain\'t even funny!

ahhhhh so your not running synthetic now..that would explain why you didn't go get your $$ back, and request another change. We do run synthetic, and that was my biggest b*tch...mixing the mucho $$ with the 1.19 a quart stuff.

It does really suck when you have a truck that cost you what these do, and you get a tech that is probably the lot boy, only use to powerwashing rigs changing your oil. I'm lucky in the respect that our #2 dealership (we use 2 of them) allows me to only have 1 guy do EVERYTHING from a oil change to the hydroboost replacement. The guy knows his stuff, and cares about what he does. It makes a big difference! And that dealership now gets my 200 bucks when it's time for oil changes, not dealership #1...

good luck next time, and I'd check the oil prior to leaving the lot!

Brandy
    2001 2500 HD D/A <br />Crew Cab,SB PEWTER <p>No problems current cept the wonderful custom paint \"decals\" she received as part of her 10 day stay at the wonderful dealers- where 91 and 89 meet in New Hampshire- STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Your right MudnurI, lesson learned!!
    No reason to think these tech's care about our trucks.
    No, no synthetic yet, about 5,800 mi right now.
    I'll wait till 15k.
    Actually, I figure I owe this goof. I have work order showing they only put 8 quarts in er. Just might show up some day when I disagreee with some service issue.

MudnurI, where in So. Vt.? Used to snocross in Wilmington.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

Southern Vermont- Exit 5 or 6- 1/2 our from Wilmington across Route 9. Matter of fact, we go to Wilmington to deliver ASBESTOS- YUK!

Rockingham is the town, 2 exits up from Brattleboro,

If you see a Pewter Crew Cab with NH plates, (company truck)..LVTRSH on the plate, that's us as of right now we are the ONLY pewter crew cab in town, Brother in law has a pewter extended cab with 2 backwards door's, and there is a pewter Crew Cab Doolie,,, but were the "original" here LOL

Brandy

MudnurI,
    Got stranded in Brattleboro one Monday morning.
    Fuel pump in company GMC Suburban (damage from off-roading the week before). All I remember was spending the night because local Chevy dealer "couldn't find a pump". Next day, had to rent a van for rest of week, man we were cramped in there. Picked it up Friday, found out they (dealer) smashed one of back doors.
    Paint was still tacky, always wondered if that was why they "couldn't find a pump". Hope this isn't your dealer, believe they were on left side of main highway just before you go into NH.

[img]smile.gif[/img] Mac

JLee Guest

I have several "free" oil changes from my dealer also - plan to wait until its cold in the winter. I don't mind doing my own when its nice and warm. I worry that they might screw up my fumoto valve, so I'm thinking of taking along a picture of the valve with a big note that says "don't remove valve, just turn that little thingy right there!!"

JLee,
    Make sure they know how many quarts to put in as well [img]smile.gif[/img]

I don't trust techs one bit. The first time I changed my oil, I couldn't find the oil filter anywhere so I had to go to the dealer to buy it. The parts guy gave a filter that looked too small for my truck. I argued with him, but he insisted that was the right filter. I bought it and left the dealership. A couple of blocks away I decided to stop at an empty parking lot. Got out, got under the truck and placed the new filter next to the old filter. Of course, the new filter was a lot smaller. Not the right filter. So much for the expertise at the dealers parts center!! I went back and told him it was the wrong filter. He said he thought it was for the smaller 2001 diesel pickup that chevy makes. Correct me if I am wrong, but GM only makes the Duramax 6.6L diesel HD right? There is no smaller diesel engine? Anyway, from now on I have bought my oil filter at Napa and other stores. And I always change my own oil.
    2001 Chevy 2500HD ext cab, LB 6spd light pewter.