Thread: 6.2 build question

Default 6.2 build question

I am new here and have been all over the web trying to figure out exactly what combo to use to build me a decent 6.2/6.5 motor.

I have a "J" code military motor, a "J" code civilian motor, 4911 pump, "F" code GM-8 turbo motor (broken crank), a running 6.2 "C" N/A in my 91 4x4 truck, and a "C" code 6.2 in my 90 Sub 4x4 with a Banks Sidewinder kit, and another complete 6.5 turbo set-up that appears to a GM-8 as well (smooth exhaust down and extended air horn just can read the plaque)

This is where I am at as far as my motor build plans and I want to get your input;
    1- "F" code 6.5 turbo set-up GM-8

2- 6.2l motor with CUCV pistons (looking to see what the block/heads need before selecting the head gasket,i.e., to lower compression from 20:1 to around 19)

3- port & polish "J" code heads (can I change the pre-cups for a larger cc one?) *the "f" code engine I bought has a broken crank and about 15k on rebuilt heads! might just port/polish and use them?

4- Pete Jackson gear drive

5- ARP head studs

6- some sort of a stud girdle

7- Intercooler

8- perhaps a Camshaft from Delta??? I also have seen a regrind cam from Crane posted BUT don't know much about them?

Vehicles that will be getting rebuilt motors as time and $$$ allows-

1) 1991 1/2 4x4 with a N/A 6.2 with 199K, just put a brazed converter, and a freshly beefed up 700r4 in it along with a "J" code intake for now and flowmaster 2 chamber.

2) 1990 Sub 4x4 with a 6.2 banks 163K. I bought this vehicle and had it towed to the house. I have not messed with it very much yet! only geting 3v's to the GP's and will not start- the block heater is hanging under the turck and a rubber freeze plug is in the hole so I can not try and cheat the heat)

thanks in advance
    Last edited by btrapr; 01-08-2010 at 08:42.

You may want to talk to Jamie @ Diesel Depot. I just had him build me a stock dimension 6.2. Included a lot of what your listing for your engine. ARP head studs, ARP stud girdle, DSG gear drive, etc. You may also want to consider a 'Fluidampr' harmonic balancer. Additionally, they porcelain coated the tops of my pistons as well as the combustion chambers and pre-cups to help contain and maintain combustion temperatures. They also balanced all rotating parts. I have no plans to turbo this engine, but can tell you that this engine runs EXTREMELY smooth, and gets up to speed much quicker than the previous 6.2 w/ 150,000 miles on it. You can find Jamie @ www.dieseldepot.com
    bleucrew6.2

1989 Crewcab 4x4 3500 6.2L N.A. (USAF Blue)
    1990 Mazda Miata 1.6L (Just for fun!)

I also had a "gapless ring" set installed. I believe it's a Total Seal top ring w/ stock second and third rings.
    bleucrew6.2

Default BlueCrew6.2

BlueCrew6.2

you posted you used a "ARP stud girdle"???

Do they make one? I know DSG does

It may well be a DSG girdle, with ARP bolts/studs. I pretty much tried to address any know weaknesses when I had this engine built.
    bleucrew6.2