Thread: Sudden Change in Glow Plug Cycle

Default Sudden Change in Glow Plug Cycle

Glow plug cycling has been perfect on start-up for years now. Suddenly it changed. When key is turned on, glow light cycle on dash lasts only a second or less. After several attempts, I can get a long enough cycle barely enough to start the engine and then it will cycle normally for a couple times after starting up.

Would this be related primarily to the glow plug relay? Or, could it be the PCM? I do have a spare, brand new GPR that I plan to put in tomorrow. Other than the GPR or the PCM, are there any other possibilities except maybe the ignition switch or something like that? There are no codes set.

I see on some posts that a faulty or failing temp sensor might be a possible suspect, but my temp guage seems to be operating normally.
    Last edited by jerry598; 06-14-2018 at 23:22.
    Black 95 6.5TD, 929 block, 173k miles, 65k on IP, 48k miles on self-rebuilt engine done in '09, 6 L&S Full-torque inserts in outer main crank holes, Clearwater heads, Fluidamper, rebuilt NV4500, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, no cat, dual T-stats, 9 blade fan, spin-on 180 degree clutch, Heath hi-flow water pump and turbomaster, PMD relocated, OPS relay mod, Heath PROM upgrade, and Kennedy headlight harness upgrade soon. Now use semi-syn Lucas 2-cycle oil every fill-up which greatly reduces the frequency of DTC 35-36 codes the PCM/ECM throws.

Hi

The glow plug relay/controller is likely the culprit.

The coolant temp sensor does not run the gauge.

Gauge is controlled by a separate sender on the LH head near the front.

Tossing in a new Coolant temp sensor in the water crossover is not going top hurt a thing and are not costly.

The PCM does act upon the entire system, but the glow relay is most likely the issue and is causing the goofy operation.

You can check the coolant temp sensor by unplugging it after the engine is warmed up..

Unplugging the sensor should cause the engine to speed up a bit a the engine should rattle a lot sharper with the sensor unplugged.

If nothing changes then the sensor is not working properly

A failed sensor thats failed in the WARM/HOT mode will not allow the cold advance and can also limit the glow cycle too....

Both items can cause issues.

Before you spend $$$

on a cold engine..

Try turning the key on and if glow cycle is short ...turn off key and unplug coolant temp sensor then turn key back on and see if glow cycle is propper.

If glow cycle is correct then replace sensor.

If cycle is still too fast then replace the glow controller.

Good luck
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks Robyn! Glad you are still a regular contributor. Your advice is always my favorite and easiest to follow. That said, I tried disconnecting the two temp sensors while the engine was cold this morning and there was no change is symptoms. Took 3 tries to get a normal 5+ second glow cycle and then she fired fine. I will replace the glow relay today and let you know the outcome. Thanks again! I do love my truck. With the Heath Performance prom and turbo master and his cooling system upgrade I installed about 5 years ago, I've never had a better running truck. This one will be with me forever.
    Black 95 6.5TD, 929 block, 173k miles, 65k on IP, 48k miles on self-rebuilt engine done in '09, 6 L&S Full-torque inserts in outer main crank holes, Clearwater heads, Fluidamper, rebuilt NV4500, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, no cat, dual T-stats, 9 blade fan, spin-on 180 degree clutch, Heath hi-flow water pump and turbomaster, PMD relocated, OPS relay mod, Heath PROM upgrade, and Kennedy headlight harness upgrade soon. Now use semi-syn Lucas 2-cycle oil every fill-up which greatly reduces the frequency of DTC 35-36 codes the PCM/ECM throws.

Thanks Robyn, it worked. Simple fix. Just a new glow plug relay was all it needed.