Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.2/6.5 Diesel Conversions - The High Points

Quote Originally Posted by stuntdoublejoe View Post
    I now have the VRV/Vac Pump, so now my question is how do I change up the governor and shift points?
    Hello there ... New on here ... Which trans are you going with .. If you use the TH350 you can get a variable modulator valve that you just make slight adjustments to until you get it shifting where you want it ... I am not sure with the TH400 .. but the 700R4 is the easiest of all.. you simply pull the pan ( you would want to install a new filter kit anyway ) and while you have it dwn you pull out the electric lockup actuator and put a 5/16 rubber ball bearing on it and place it back in .. this makes the 700 work completely automatic .... you then just have to have the shift valve control cable hooked up and set propely .. ( although there are different valves available for gas and diesels ) this cable not only controls the shift range but also controls the pressure applied to the clutch packs so it is vital that it is hooked up on a 700R4 ... I made this mistake once with my '66 chevelle and burned up my tranny ...

Do you know of any low mile 4x4 donors. Prefur a 6.5

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post

[LIST=1][*]The GM 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines share the very same bellhousing configuration and bolt pattern with all Chevy and GMC V-8 gasoline engines.[*]The GM 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines share the very same motor mount configuration with all Chevy and GMC V-8 gasoline engines.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 6.2s/6.5s don't share the very same bellhousing configuration as all GM/GMC v-8 gas engines. According to wiki's list of GM bellhousing bolt patterns anyhow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...using_patterns.

EX- The GM 5.3L LS4 V8 uses the GM metric bellhousing pattern.

I'm a newbie on here and am by no means an expert. Hope this is helpful.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunkie View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but 6.2s/6.5s don't share the very same bellhousing configuration as all GM/GMC v-8 gas engines. According to wiki's list of GM bellhousing bolt patterns anyhow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...using_patterns.

Referring to the 6.2/6.5 GM Diesel engines, they are the same as the gas V8 engines of the same light truck tooling series (GMT-xxx). Also note this does not include the BOP patterns. The (current) LS4 was not offered in a light truck, and was not in production at any time the 6.2/6.5 Diesel engines were an OEM option. It's a muscle car engine.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

The transmission bolt pattern statement was 100% accurate at the time it was written about 15 years ago. If Chevy/GMC changed its bolt pattern for some newer engines, that would be good to know, and I appreciate your input.

For a little historical perspective: GM established the Chevy transmission bolt pattern we're talking about here with the introduction of the 1955 model year 265 C.I. smallblock gas V-8 used in its cars and light trucks. That bolt pattern was carried forward into GM's 1960-90s era 396/427/454 C.I. and 8.1L bigblock gas engines. That bolt pattern was carried forward into (as Greg mentioned) into all Chevy/GMC full size gas and diesel powered light trucks through the entirety of the 6.2L/6.5L production. And finally, that is the same bolt pattern currently in use by the Duramax 6600.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunkie View Post

If you read the article closer you will see that the LS4 was adapted to put in a front wheel drive vehicle, Most front wheel drive GM's use the metric pattern. All the other v8's still retain the original Chevy bolt pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Referring to the 6.2/6.5 GM Diesel engines, they are the same as the gas V8 engines of the same light truck tooling series (GMT-xxx). Also note this does not include the BOP patterns. The (current) LS4 was not offered in a light truck, and was not in production at any time the 6.2/6.5 Diesel engines were an OEM option. It's a muscle car engine.
    The 5.3L is not a factory muscle car engine, it's the half ton PU and Tahoe platform engine. However, it is swapped into muscle cars because it can handle a lot of boost on the stock bottom end (iron block version). Same goes for LQ9 6.0L engine.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
    The 5.3L is not a factory muscle car engine, it's the half ton PU and Tahoe platform engine. However, it is swapped into muscle cars because it can handle a lot of boost on the stock bottom end (iron block version). Same goes for LQ9 6.0L engine.
    Not all 5.3L GM gassers are equal. The LS4 was never a light truck engine, and shouldn't be confused with other historical "LS" series engines. They were OEM in late model "muscle cars" brands, such as Monte Carlo and Grand Prix (in transverse configuration), among others. The LM4 is the aluminum block light truck engine, the LM7 is cast iron. There are numerous "5.3L" engine option configurations from 1999 to present model years. There is no correlation between any of them, and late model 6.0/6.2L gasser engines. Different animals, with very different applications and control systems. The 6.0L LQ4/9 light truck engines are unique unto themselves, not to be confused with the "LS" (and other) series 6.0L's.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The following link contain a number of member vehicles that, some at least, are focused on 6.2L/6.5L diesel conversions. Some are from the early years of The Diesel Page, while others are somewhat newer. All are interesting. Have a look.
    https://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/readers.htm