Thread: 2001 Chevy Conversion

Default 2001 Chevy Conversion

Anyone have any experiences with a 2001/2002 Chevy, with the 8.1 gas to a Duramax? My truck has spaces in the fuse panels for diesel related components, and came with dual batteries. This truck as 4.10 gears, and the Allison matched to the transfer case.

Any help is appreciated.

I'd really just suggest finding a truck of that vintage with a Duramax already in it unless this one is particularly special in some way. Lots of money, lots of time, lots of work to do a swap. If you aren't in a position to do the work yourself, then multiply the "lots of money" by several factors to have someone else do it for you.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

The only reason to keep this truck is that is it paid for.
    The similar vintage trucks with diesel I have seen go for nearly 20k.

This 8.1 dually pulls great, but gets only 10 mpg, 8 mpg towing.

Have you thought about putting in a Cummins? The 12 valve Cummins would save you from all the electronics. You would have a unique truck with the most desirable powerplant.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

My main reason for looking at the Duramax is that most parts should be bolt in. The wiring harnesses appear to have been built for both gas and diesel. There are spaces for diesel related relays in the box.

You have a Duramax in that older suburban, like it? 30 mpg? Wow!
    How expensive was the retrofit?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    Have you thought about putting in a Cummins? The 12 valve Cummins would save you from all the electronics. You would have a unique truck with the most desirable powerplant.
    The 2001 trucks are all-electronic already. This would probably me more complicated that converting a non-electronic chassis with an electronic powerplant.

The late model 8.1L/Allison is probably the easiest and least expensive of any chassis for a Duramax transplant. Electrical is already in place, programming is available off-the-shelf, and no non-standard adapters are required.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    The 2001 trucks are all-electronic already. This would probably me more complicated that converting a non-electronic chassis with an electronic powerplant.

The late model 8.1L/Allison is probably the easiest and least expensive of any chassis for a Duramax transplant. Electrical is already in place, programming is available off-the-shelf, and no non-standard adapters are required.
    This is what I might have guessed (having no experiences). Short of buying a donor vehicle, does anyone know of a rough budget for such a transplant, (less labor). This truck owes me nothing, is in good shape. It is time to sell or spend some money to keep it for many more years. The 8.1 is just too thirsty. Unfortunately, it seems all used diesels went way up in price, and can't be touched for reasonable prices.

Scanning through eBay, I see a 2007 Duramax engine for $2000, another for $8500 (w/ Allison), and a 2005 for $4000. They come with all belt driven accessories, but little more.

Seems like a donor vehicle is the way to go for a conversion because then you aren't nickel and diming yourself to death with every little bit you need. Up front cost is higher, but once you have what you need you can also recoup some by parting the rest of it out.

I'm guessing that the cost to have someone do a conversion will be at least the cost of the components and probably more.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by 91dually View Post
    My main reason for looking at the Duramax is that most parts should be bolt in. The wiring harnesses appear to have been built for both gas and diesel. There are spaces for diesel related relays in the box.

You have a Duramax in that older suburban, like it? 30 mpg? Wow!
    How expensive was the retrofit?
    The older Suburban has the original 82 6.2L diesel. It gets incredibly good gas mileage for such a large vehicle when driven conservatively. People can’t hardly believe it.

The 1990 Suburban has been retrofitted with a Cummins. It has a lot more power than the 6.2L which is especially noticeable when towing. Driven conservatively, I get about 26 mpg on this rig. But I think it could do better with some narrower tires. Overall, the Cummins is an awesome engine. It’s easy to work on, parts are relatively low cost, it’s incredibly reliable, it has lots of power and it does well on fuel. And having a Chevy with a Cummins, you get the best of both worlds.

Here's a 2004 GMC Cummins swap
    Click Here
    Last edited by Edahall; 09-24-2010 at 10:33.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

There's an article in the December 2010 issue of Diesel World magazine (just arrived) that shows/discusses a late model Tahoe/Duramax conversion. Some info in this piece should help with your project....

Jim

Thanks.
    December 2010 Diesel World?

Quote Originally Posted by 91dually View Post
    Thanks.
    December 2010 Diesel World?
    Yup... I just received my subscription copy today. It should be available at mag retail outlets in a few days.

Jim

Got the magazine, it had almost no information about the swap. I emailed the editor twice, no reply.

Did you have any problems with inspections as the engine is replaced?