Thread: Regarding '97 Cooling Mod

Default Regarding '97 Cooling Mod

In another forum this statement was made recently by one of their "gurus"....."Running the dual t-stat setup without the BRF (bypass restrictor fitting) tends to cook the #7 and #8 cylinders." And it was stated as an undisputed fact. Wasn't this the reason GM designed the '97 cooling upgrade (w/o BRF) to begin with? To stop head cracking and cooking the rear cylinders? And increasing flow through the heads and block by 74%?
    '95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500, reg cab, long box, 2x4, 4L80E, 3.73 ratio, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.

Yeah, because more coolant flow results in greater heat. (not)

The "theory" may sound good, but it only looks good on a temp gage. It's the same heat. If you aren't seeing it on the gage, it went somewhere (or, in fact, didn't go anywhere, which is the problem). All else being equal, a higher reading from a temp sender shows more heat moved away from the source. Isn't that exactly what we are trying to do? Hogwash, at its best. The same applies to the "rear head coolant bypass". If you feel better that your gage is indicating a lower temp, you're talking to the wrong end of the horse.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Yeah, because more coolant flow results in greater heat. (not)

The "theory" may sound good, but it only looks good on a temp gage. It's the same heat. If you aren't seeing it on the gage, it went somewhere (or, in fact, didn't go anywhere, which is the problem). All else being equal, a higher reading from a temp sender shows more heat moved away from the source. Isn't that exactly what we are trying to do? Hogwash, at its best. The same applies to the "rear head coolant bypass". If you feel better that your gage is indicating a lower temp, you're talking to the wrong end of the horse.
    Some other sites do have some good info, but a lot of it is aftermarket huckster BS. Lol. This site tends to keep me grounded with honest practical information. Thanks for the reply Dmax.
    '95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500, reg cab, long box, 2x4, 4L80E, 3.73 ratio, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.

I saw the same post on that forum that rnash4 quoted. My BS detector pegged in the red. Thank you Dmax for a lucid and common sense explanation of this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rnash4 View Post
    In another forum this statement was made recently by one of their "gurus"....."Running the dual t-stat setup without the BRF (bypass restrictor fitting) tends to cook the #7 and #8 cylinders." And it was stated as an undisputed fact. Wasn't this the reason GM designed the '97 cooling upgrade (w/o BRF) to begin with? To stop head cracking and cooking the rear cylinders? And increasing flow through the heads and block by 74%?
    100% Pure BS from an untrustworthy vendor likely from TX who just happens to make said restrictor. This and the "balanced flow" water pump claim make me want to kick these guys in the nuts...

P.S. It's been a while since I have handled one, but I believe the bypass was enlarged on these compared to prior models.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    100% Pure BS from an untrustworthy vendor likely from TX who just happens to make said restrictor. This and the "balanced flow" water pump claim make me want to kick these guys in the nuts...

P.S. It's been a while since I have handled one, but I believe the bypass was enlarged on these compared to prior models.
    Just yesterday he told a guy to add the BRF to "balance the flows" to prevent cooking the 7 & 8 cylinders! LOL (It wasn't the vendor from Tx)

There has been more hocus pokus about the cooling system on the 6.5 than I care to hash out

The GM update to the dual stats and high volume pump worked pretty well.....

Even the original single stat and standard pump was not too bad as long as the radiator was in good shape and the fan clutch was working right....

The rear two cyl's were set with .0005" (Half thou) more clearance on the pistons.....
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

It wasn't the one from SC either, I call the others out when ever I see those stupid post...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

The part that sucks is that GM should have cast the heads to flow better .....

The 6.5 Turbo cooling system was/is always right on the ragged edge of NOT ENOUGH.....Even when new.

Add some miles and crap in the cooling stack and all bets are off.

Another Fubar was that GM had some really good fan clutches back in the 80's that really came on and would howl like hell until the temps were where they belonged.

People started whining about the noise...so GM bumped the lockup temp up some.

Ya really had to get them cooking hot to get the clutch to bring the fan on hard.

So a whole batch of rigs were unfit to cool well because of whiners.....

Also...many folks would take their rig in complaining the the tranny was slipping.

I got into one of those bru ha ha's

Customer kept telling me his tranny was slipping

No factory tach.

Installed a tach and romped the rig until all of a sudden the fan started howling like a banshee.

Tach was rock solid....Customer screamed to hell and back.

I bought the rig off him ...Had 20k miles (K2500 Burb)

I ran it 250K miles with zero issues....350 V8 TH400

Sweet truck

Gm's decision to cave to stupid customers instead of educating them was a dumb move..
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

That's the biggest problem...
    Education
    Nobody does it anymore,just build everything and make rules for stupid humans.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Far too many people know absolutely NOTHING about the rig they drive and they are the ones that bitch the most.

The old fan clutches were great./

When the temp got just a whisker above the 190 F mark the fan howled...

That was a great setup.

AND IT WORKED WELL.

Now they put the RED ZONE on the gauge at 260 F

Wrong answer....
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

If I had a 93-96 with single stat and no dual stat setup I'd consider running the big water pump and REMOVE the bypass block off on the OE thermostat.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    If I had a 93-96 with single stat and no dual stat setup I'd consider running the big water pump and REMOVE the bypass block off on the OE thermostat.
    I have been thinking about doing that on my '95. I don't pull heavy and no cooling issues so far. But whenever my pump needs replacing sure would like to put the HO unit on, less the bypass block off.