Thread: Wandering Coolant Temperature

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wandering Coolant Temperature

Hello

For the past couple of months I have been watching my temperature gauge move around while driving. It goes from running temp of ~190 all the way down to 160 and everywhere in between. This became more noticable today while on the highway driving home for Christmas. As the temperature gauge would fluctuate the truck would surge as if it is switiching from cold to hot mode if that make any sense.

The temperature sending unit was changed last year when I Broke the plastic housing for the plug while changing the alternator.

I believe the problem is related to the sending unit somehow. Last week after driving the truck for awhile, I shut it off to go into the store. When I came out I had had a very long glow plug light as if the engine was cold. The gauge was all the way at the bottom. With the engine running I went and pulled on the sending unit wires and I could hear the engine change tones, and presto gauge was accurate.

So onto the question, Is it likely the sending unit, it seems like a simple piece of metal to me, not sure how possible it is for one to fail, is there a way to check it or do I start with swapping it and then start tracing wires.

Thanks
    Sam

2001 LB7 190,000
    Last edited by duramax170; 12-21-2011 at 20:51. Reason: Grammer, its an ongoing problem
    2001 summit white ext. cab D/A