Thread: I've probably lost my mind

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post
    TWF is interesting. Wonder if they make a single speed TC. Either that or a 2 speed with OD?
    I had asked Todd about OD options and there was some reason that wasn’t possible. But I seem to recall a project with a single speed transfer case for a project - possibly military.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    I had asked Todd about OD options and there was some reason that wasn’t possible. But I seem to recall a project with a single speed transfer case for a project - possibly military.
    Obviously some more digging is required. May have to go with a 2 speed and just lock it into high range or tighten up the ratio split to give it some advantage from a standing stop. Going to have to get under the crewcab with a tape measure and see how much room I have for another diff in the front now that you have added that issue to the list

Thank again

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Clearly, there are lots of vehicles out there with low pinion front diffs - but for the most part they are either part-time or at least take a lesser portion of the load for full-time use.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

For whatever this is worth...

A few years ago I was thinking about swapping a 6.5TD into one of the 1st gen toronados (1966-68 or so), but didn't like the 3 spd non-lockup transaxle.

I found that they did offer a 4-spd O.D. version from 1982-1985, with a lockup TC (I assume). Not sure if it could be built strong enough for a 6.5/motorhome use....Seems like there are some still out there, according to car-part.com.

Joe.
    2006 Chevy K2500 LLY Duramax/Allison Crew Cab!
    1996 Chevy C2500 6.5 auto Ext. Cab LB

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    For whatever this is worth...

A few years ago I was thinking about swapping a 6.5TD into one of the 1st gen toronados (1966-68 or so), but didn't like the 3 spd non-lockup transaxle.

I found that they did offer a 4-spd O.D. version from 1982-1985, with a lockup TC (I assume). Not sure if it could be built strong enough for a 6.5/motorhome use....Seems like there are some still out there, according to car-part.com.

Joe.
    Before embarking on the subframe swap idea, I talked to a guy in California who is the guru of these transmissions about the 4 sp., lockup version. He was less than complimentary about them, saying they failed even with the V6 powerplants.

If memory serves, I believe he said it was based on the old thm200r4. Gear ratios in lower gears were great but would need a butt load of cash to strengthen them up to take the torque and even then, their lifespan would be suspect. Again old tech with limited parts availability.

Thanks.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)