Thread: 2004 lb7 loss of power

Question 2004 lb7 loss of power

my lb7 has ben getting slugish off of stop signs and over the last few times i have driven it towing and with out a load. it has a new fuel filter and a clean air filter. it is even more noticeable when it is not at operating temp. sees like a 2000 rpm it will just sit there and not do any thing for a short time and the it stars to pick up rpm slowly.
    2004 CC D/A LB7 4X4 with edge juice with attitude, BD air filter system, 4in exhaust, 4" rancho lift, 315x75x16 tires, superlift speedo correction

2004 Terry Quantum 300BH TT

2004 CC D/A LLY 4X4 chassis to put my 72 suburban body on.

Thumbs up

First step is to disconnect the EDGE and see if the problem goes away. Second step is to verify the fuel and air filter. Third step would be to ramp up the fuel rail pressure and see if it can even make at least 145 Mpa. It should make 160 Mpa no problem! If unable to make 160 Mpa, probably has a bad set of fuel injectors.
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

I have disconnected the edge and it still does the same. the air filter is new AFE no oil filter only 800miles on it. Fuel filter is only 800 miles on it. do i need to change it again? how do you change the fuel pressure? And what and where do i hook a pressure gauge up at?
    2004 CC D/A LB7 4X4 with edge juice with attitude, BD air filter system, 4in exhaust, 4" rancho lift, 315x75x16 tires, superlift speedo correction

are you saying it does this when it is not warmed up?

any codes?

can you put the old intake back on?
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

all the bd intake is just the box no tubes. the bd with a K&N has been on the truck since new. I just changed the K&N out for a AEM dry flow filter. The sluggish feeling is even more noticeable when the truck is not up to aoperating temp but still there when it is warmed up

I believe this is your problem.

The ECM withholds fuel until sufficient airflow is sensed (MAF sensor). IOW, the fuel dosage must be matched by a charted air flow, or added fuel will not be scheduled. The oiled elements noriously "deaden" the hot wire type MAF sensors as oil and dirt accumulate on the wire over time. So the MAF sensor is relaying less MAF than before, causing sluggish throttle response.

clean your MAF sensor with alcohol and compressed air.

Also, check for codes. Probably none, but always check. If the attitude shows MAF, you can do a before/after comp.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

I cleaned the MAF sensor. still runs the same changed the from the new dry flow filter to the old K&N filter still acts the same. acts slugish with the edge juice connected and disconnted.

What next.

Is this with the stock intake box now?
    What codes did you have?
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

Go Smokeless!

I do not have a stock box. it has factory tubes to a open round filter. had a K&n filter until 800 miles ago when i changed to a AEM dry flow oilless filter. As stated before the box has been on the tuck for most of its life. the truck run the same with the K&N or the AEM dry flow filter. has the same slugish felling with the edge juice and with out. here is a link to the bd air box pictures.

http://www.bd-power.com/gmc/gmcxtream.html

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee
    What codes did you have?

Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

Go Smokeless!

i dont have a ses light on. i do not have a scanner to see if there are any iother codes.

autozone will scan for free. There are many codes that don't trigger SES.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

Go Smokeless!

Default Same problem

Same issue with lb7 here. Have been throwing parts at it but no change. Did you ever find the issue. I found found a couple similar post but nobody seems to put the final result and fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm1205 View Post
    Same issue with lb7 here. Have been throwing parts at it but no change. Did you ever find the issue. I found found a couple similar post but nobody seems to put the final result and fix. Any help would be appreciated.
    Air and fuel are the keys. What if any work has been done recently prior to the start of the issue? Particularly have the injector lines been loosened/removed?
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!