Thread: Just died and won't start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Just died and won't start

Hello everyone,
    New to the forum.
    My truck decided to die on me yesterday. I started it up and let it warm up for about 5 minutes. I pulled out of my driveway and went about 100 yards up my street and then she just idled down and died. I then tried to restart and all she did was crank. So I let her roll back down the street to a safe area to park.
    I replaced the ignition switch a few weeks ago and the truck seemed to be just fine. The fuel filter was replaced about 4000 miles ago with all of the fuel lines. I tried bleeding the fuel system at the fuel head three times. Is the pump supposed to require more pressure and hold this pressure after you pump it up? It is definitely much looser after I tried cranking the engine. I also noticed that the red battery image on the top right side of the dash is not lit. I also serviced the batteries two weeks ago. I drove the truck last Sunday and The previous Wednesday. Any thoughts or comments will ne greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    2003 Ext. Cab Long Bed
    Banks Cold Air
    Banks Exhaust
    SAC injectors
    EFI Live Tuning

Can you pull the codes from the OBD-II diagnostics port? Any cheap code reader will do...

Don't own one. Guess I need to get one.
    2003 Ext. Cab Long Bed
    Banks Cold Air
    Banks Exhaust
    SAC injectors
    EFI Live Tuning

OK, just got back with a scanner. Needed to by one anyway.
    Two codes, both refer to the trans. P0843 & P0875. I'm guessing they are probably left over from when the trans was serviced a few months ago.
    2003 Ext. Cab Long Bed
    Banks Cold Air
    Banks Exhaust
    SAC injectors
    EFI Live Tuning

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Disregard the DTC's you posted. Both are transmission pressure faults, likely due to the service. In any case, they will not cause a running engine to stop, or prevent a start.

Your fuel priming function sounds normal. Pumping the primer will/should harden after pumping, but will relieve once the engine is cranked (started or not). It will not stay hard to pump if the engine is cranked any significant amount. Once it has lost prime, it will NOT self-prime, and it will stay that way until you get a successful start. If you are pumping the primer a "few" times, it may not be enough. Some of them require as little as 10-25 pumps, while others can require 100 or more. Make sure you are fully priming. The primer pump should become nearly impossible to fully depress before it is "complete".

You described "idled down and died". This sounds like a fuel supply issue (electric/electronic issues are almost always on/off, with no transition between them), and there will normally be no DTC to indicate a problem. Either the fuel system is blocked, or air is leaking in. I suggest you begin by checking the simple things first.

Fuel filter. They can, after a little time of running (especially with significant climate/season changes and temp cycles), loosen or leak at either of the seals (large housing seal at the top, smaller water sensor seal at the bottom). It is simple to R/R the filter. If it's new (like 4K or less), remove and reseat it. The plastic filters are more prone to issues and require greater care to ensure they are properly sealed (and stay that way).

Fuel lines. If they have been recently replaced, any/all connections are suspect. Also check the entire route to make sure a new line isn't pinched or kinked (they often do not get replaced to the exact previous location). Check all the connections and clamps.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

I'll add.....

The FIRST thing to do with any drivability problem is to remove any electronic power devices (such as Edge) or programming, if possible. Often, they can cause or contribute to issues, and can hinder efforts to correct some issues. So, if you haven't done that, do that.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com