Thread: No start and of course I need to get somewhere

Default No start and of course I need to get somewhere

Hello all

The Burb is acting up again. Drove 6 miles to work this morning, 39F outside temp, she started and drove great. Office to home 30 minutes ago, and after sitting for 15 min, no start. About 49F now, at operating temp, crank speed 100+ rpm, good glow, fuel present up to the filter, gray wisps out the pipe after crank. Recently replaced the extension harness and IP harness about 2 months ago. None of my 3 FSDs make a difference. Hopefully it's not a pull the manifold job again. Any thoughts?

Thanks

BTW mileage npw 298K
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD
    K&N insert in stock airbox
    Relocated PMD behind front bumper

Fuel gelled in the filter?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Possibly. After sitting for about an hour I bled the fuel manager and she fired up. Stopped to pick up some wintertime treatment. A ten minute stop and no start. Added some directly into fuel manager and fired after a few tries. Fueled up at a different station, back to work, and fired right up after 4 hours sitting, outside temps about 43F. Will burn through that tank and try fresh with more winter treatment. Could be a dirty batch of fuel? I dunno.
    Thanks for the input, if nothing else it makes me think deeper about this.

Cheers
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD

Bleed the fuel manager for water while it's above freezing!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Well I think I have found out what caused my no-start, but don't know the source. Some updated backstory...drove from ATL to NC over the weekend, flawless drive no issues at all, added some winter treatment at fill ups just in case. Temps in the low 40s to low 50s, she ran great. Had a no start when fueling up Sunday night, AAA driver managed to get it fired. Monday night another no start, tried to be patient and got it running after half a dozen attempts over 15 minutes. While changing fuel filter on Tuesday morning, I discovered a bunch of crud floating in the fuel manager. Siphoned out the bowl and cleaned it with paper towels and cotton swabs. Hopefully the photos are legible. Lots of what looked like dirt, and a lot of fine metallic particles. Wondering if that is debris from the tanks at fuel stations, gunk from my tank pickup, or what? As a preventative, where should I add an additional filter...upstream or downstream of the fuel manager? And btw I hate the 'new' style filters that don't use the retaining ring...can't bleed them right to save my life.

Any suggestions are welcome as always. Thanks, gang!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    ...Lots of what looked like dirt, and a lot of fine metallic particles....
    This happened to me back in the 1990s. The problem is... I fueled up at a brand new station. The new tanks, lines and pumps all had some crap in them. It took two sets of fuel filters to get things back to normal.

The fuel stations are supposed to use a final filter somewhere in the pump or hose handle... or somewhere to catch the macro crap. Jim

That’s what I figured. Any suggestions on mounting a secondary filter somewhere to help catch all the junk? Thanks!
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD