Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medium Duty Quality thread- Monroe

Default Sum up

I tallied up the problems once and found it to be darn close to 50/50. The GM ones turned out to be much much more difficult to remedy. Monroe was at least very interested in making their issues right.

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    I tallied up the problems once and found it to be darn close to 50/50. The GM ones turned out to be much much more difficult to remedy. Monroe was at least very interested in making their issues right.

Chip
    This truck has been awesome. I have had only one issue with my truck and it was Monroe related and GM said they will fix it with no questions asked. Maybe you need to get a dealer that will work with GM and you a little better.

Awesome truck! Welcome to the BB...

Jim

Default Follow-up

A couple of months ago, I closed the office and drove the 450 miles to Flint to let Monroe work on the airbag alignment, the remaining vibration issues and to help repair the rusting trim plate under the rear gate. Those guys were very gracious. They replaced the U-bolts on the bag on the driver's side, but could not get it exactly vertical. They showed me that the final bag alignment was the best they could do and that it was "in tolerance" for the bag. I believe them...as I've looked at other trucks with so-low...the bags are also leaning a bit.

The engineers rode with me to a local tire dealer who replaced another G647RSS on the rear...which had a bead that was never seated at GM. They double checked the alignment and balanced everything again. The manager there and the engineers at Monroe said that UPS or some outfit had given up on this particular GM tire because they had sidewall consistency issues. I begged them to take the new GY's back against 4 Michelins. No luck. At $300 a pop, I wasn't going to spend $1200 to fix GM and Goodyear's issues.

Unfortunately, the ride home was another exercise in avoiding 65 mph. Put a trailer on it at that speed...and it is undriveable.

Almost home, I also noticed that the fuel filler doors were resting on the torx fasteners and not the rubber stops. They were banging the body and chipping paint off the fuel door and truck all the way home. I have sinced removed a couple of shims to get them on the rubbers, but the bed vibration is to great, and the fuel doors are still getting out to kiss the body. Crap!

So 900 miles later...very expensive fuel bills...a hotel stay...I haven't gotten anywhere with the disabling vibration. All I can say is that it is worse on old asphalt roads and much better on concrete. I was going to alternate letting air out of rear tires to see if I could make it go away by partially deflating a rear. \\\

I'll say it again...Monroe should be admired for taking this time to work on GM's issues. They sent me a bottle of touch up for the fuel doors, but I have much more work to do.

The GM dealer is ignoring my emails and never paid for the alignment and tire swap that he promised to pay for.

And they wonder why they are in trouble.

Maybe a Ford F-550 is in your future. They have an interior fit and finish closer to their light duty line. Ride quality unknown.

It does sound like there are some issues with third party upfitting the Kodiak - especially if you start messing with the suspension. All mine got was a lightweight aluminum flatbed and headache rack.

It still rides like a tank, but hauls the freight so I don't really care. 124K miles and counting...
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 11-22-2008 at 18:33.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    A couple of months ago, I closed the office and drove the 450 miles to Flint to let Monroe work on the airbag alignment, the remaining vibration issues and to help repair the rusting trim plate under the rear gate. Those guys were very gracious. They replaced the U-bolts on the bag on the driver's side, but could not get it exactly vertical. They showed me that the final bag alignment was the best they could do and that it was "in tolerance" for the bag. I believe them...as I've looked at other trucks with so-low...the bags are also leaning a bit.

The engineers rode with me to a local tire dealer who replaced another G647RSS on the rear...which had a bead that was never seated at GM. They double checked the alignment and balanced everything again. The manager there and the engineers at Monroe said that UPS or some outfit had given up on this particular GM tire because they had sidewall consistency issues. I begged them to take the new GY's back against 4 Michelins. No luck. At $300 a pop, I wasn't going to spend $1200 to fix GM and Goodyear's issues.

Unfortunately, the ride home was another exercise in avoiding 65 mph. Put a trailer on it at that speed...and it is undriveable.

Almost home, I also noticed that the fuel filler doors were resting on the torx fasteners and not the rubber stops. They were banging the body and chipping paint off the fuel door and truck all the way home. I have sinced removed a couple of shims to get them on the rubbers, but the bed vibration is to great, and the fuel doors are still getting out to kiss the body. Crap!

So 900 miles later...very expensive fuel bills...a hotel stay...I haven't gotten anywhere with the disabling vibration. All I can say is that it is worse on old asphalt roads and much better on concrete. I was going to alternate letting air out of rear tires to see if I could make it go away by partially deflating a rear. \\\

I'll say it again...Monroe should be admired for taking this time to work on GM's issues. They sent me a bottle of touch up for the fuel doors, but I have much more work to do.

The GM dealer is ignoring my emails and never paid for the alignment and tire swap that he promised to pay for.

And they wonder why they are in trouble.

I don't know why you continue to bash GM for Monroe and Goodyears problems. They should give you touch up paint for the fuel doors considering it is their issue not GM. The box sides and everything attached to them are Monroes responsibility not GM. Tires are warrentied seperate from the vehicle warrenty, so try and get a Goodyear dealer to warrenty them. I own one of these trucks so I know who is responsible for what. If your going to be a GM hater go some where else to do it .