Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heaviest curb weight. Brag here...

Post here your heaviest crub weight (weight of truck, trailer and load). Only one rule... The weight must have been from a certified scale. No estimations allowed!

I'll start with 31,060 lbs. curb weight. 11 big round bales of hay on a 24' flatbed trailer. The truck pulled it good. 65 mph top speed on the level with no wind. Definetly overloaded though. Can you say, "Boys and Girls don't try this at home."

Ken
    '93 2500 4wd ext cab 6.5 TD
    270K on Truck
    Check us out at www.TheBuffaloGuys.com

rjschoolcraft Guest

WOW!

My heaviest "certified" weight is 16,300 lb. on the way home from Yellowstone in 2000. I've towed heavier since, but haven't weighed it.

Pulling my boat, 17600. 25 foot cabin cruiser.
    1996 k2500 suburban vin f all stock 246000 miles. I pull a 7400lb 26 ft cabin cruiser.

My pappy always said, "Never start a fight you can't win", or something like that. Ken...clearly, you started something that will be hard to beat. 31K+. Holy Haywagon! My sig shows a Cat scale weight. I've been heavier, but not by much.
    \'98 Chevy Suburban 2500 4X4, 6.5TD, 94K, 4.10 gears<br />K&N air filter, 4\" Magnaflow Performance Exhaust (cat modified), Isspro gauges (boost, pyro and tranny), Bilsteins, remote FSD, Turbo-Master, Max-E-Tork ECM, HO injectors, Jordan controller, Keystone Cougar 304 BHS<br />GCW 17,800# (all 7 of us, but without the bikes).<br />tstadulis@aol.com

dieseldummy Guest

Been just a touch under 36K before. Three antique tractors on a 29' gooseneck. Like was stated above, definately overweight, but with some common sense it is managable.

markrinker Guest

23,620#. 17 3x3x8' bales of hay. Averaged over 60mph for 375 mile trip home. 7mpg. Probably glad that I don't have a tranny temp gauge...

CareyWeber Guest

Truck alone no trailer 11,800lbs (Lance Camper on board).

Longest tow record (maybe)is 16,900lbs from Ft Richardson, Alaska to Ft Leonard Wood, Missouri (Lance Camper and flat towed Scout).

I have towed the same setup, but with the Scout on the a trailer that weights 2,200lbs, so add 2200 so that makes at least 19,100lbs. That was from Ft Leonard Wood, MO to Ft Jackson, SC.

Carey

Cowracer Guest

I think Carey is on to something.

Towing 25000# 10 miles is impressive, but towing 17000# for 1500 miles is more impressive to me.

What if you take gross weight and add 5 pounds for each mile towed. I think that would show who pulled the most extreme load.

My personal best...
    6200 truck + 7800 boat for 272 miles equals a towing index of 15360.

T

Yep. Makes sense. I didn't tow the 31,000+ very far and I'm glad.

However the next day I did tow 22,500 lbs (curb weight) 200 miles, gained 3000 feet in elevation and had a 30 mph cross or head wind all the way.

I got about 9 mpg and could do 75 fairly easily. That's the speed limit out here on the interstate. Let's see... That makes this load 23,500 lbs with the distance factored in. My other short haul still beats it even though I know this lighter load was a better test.

The truck did it fine but I just got the feeling that it was more than it liked.

I turned the water injection off for a spell and it was a whole different story. Intake temps went right up and power went right down.
    Ken
    '93 2500 4wd ext cab 6.5 TD
    270K on Truck
    Check us out at www.TheBuffaloGuys.com

rjschoolcraft Guest

That 16,300+ lbs. GCVW for me has been all over the United States. Been to Boston/Cape Cod, New York City (separate trips), Hunting Island State Park in SC, Bahia Honda SP in FL Keys, Yellowstone, San Francisco (and many points in CA on same trip), Las Vegas and Missoula, MT plus countless business trips. I'm sure that I've missed some miles in there somewhere. I towed from Las Vegas, NV to Martinsville, IN in two days last fall. First day covered 996 miles and the second covered over 850 miles. That would be a pretty high index.

ronniejoe. What are you pulling? How tall is it? Since you've pulled it so much I take it that the truck pulls it good? Just interested to know what is comfortable for these trucks. We're thinking about getting a bigger camper.

rjschoolcraft Guest

It's a 1999 Wilderness 31G (as stated in my signature). The certified weight from 2000 had it at 8600 lbs. loaded, but I have loaded it heavier since (I'm guessing well over 9,000 lbs.) The Suburban weighed in at over 8,000 lbs. by itself (I've loaded it heavier on recent trips as well...the kids are growing up!). The numbers don't exactly add up because of the weight distributing hitch. I weighed the entire rig, then just the Suburban by itself. I may also be remembering fuzzy, but I have the tickets around here some where.

The trailer is actually 32' long and overall height is 11'6". There's a picture of it in my 6.5 Performance thread (scroll down a ways in the thread to find it). The Suburban has always handled the load well from a handling perspective, but was weak when facing any hills or mountains. I had severe overheating problems. The mods I've done have change all of that and now it really tows the trailer well.

I towed a 4020 John Deere tractor on a flatbed trailer last February. I didn't weigh the load, but I know that the tractor weighs around 9000 lb and the trailer weighed close to 2000 lb. The Suburban wasn't loaded as heavily as it is when I travel, but still I was probably around 18,000 lb GCVW.

I towed the Pull-Off trailer from Missoula, MT to Jim's home in Stevensville after the event last July. That trailer load was 11,920 lb. The Suburban handled it better than my travel trailer because of less wind resistance. I hit 70 mph a couple times on the two-lane US 93 to keep up with Jim and Dr. Lee in the Duramax Project Truck...I was following them because I didn't know where Jim lived!

Tanker tows a bigger, heavier Hoiday Rambler trailer with his Suburban. He could probably give some information as well.

Cowracer Guest

Originally posted by The Buffalo Guy:

However the next day I did tow 22,500 lbs (curb weight) 200 miles, gained 3000 feet in elevation and had a 30 mph cross or head wind all the way.

Ohh, I never thought about elevation changes. Hmm maybe add 2 pounds for ever foot of elevation?

So the Universal Gross Load Index (U.G.L.I) formula is Gross weight in lbs + (5 * total miles) + (2 * Elevation change in feet).

I guess that 747-400 that I flew to Sydney has you all beat!

Tim

CareyWeber Guest

Originally posted by Cowracer:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The Buffalo Guy:

Ohh, I never thought about elevation changes. Hmm maybe add 2 pounds for ever foot of elevation?

So the Universal Gross Load Index (U.G.L.I) formula is Gross weight in lbs + (5 * total miles) + (2 * Elevation change in feet).

I guess that 747-400 that I flew to Sydney has you all beat!

Tim
    </font>[/QUOTE]Tim,

I would say so the 747-400 has right at a 1,000,000lb take off weight limit.

Better add in a point or two for the outside temp when above 80

I was at 13,900 with my old Jayco 31FK. I'm now at 18,200 with my new Holiday Rambler. Both on certified Cat scales. I guess when Mrs. Tanker loads the trailer I could be higher, or when other family members ride along on some trips.
    Sure glad I now have the excessive heat problems all solved. Never over 195* on coolant, and always well under 1200* on the Pyrometer (pre-turbo), running 15-20psi boost.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

16,540 lbs on a Canadian scale and 85,450 miles on the trailer hub odometer and 14,4356 miles on the truck. Alaska, BC twice, west coast 3 times and gulf coast 6 or 7 times, all but 5 states and 2 proviences. May not be the heaviest but will go for total ton miles.
    1997 Chevy 2500 4x4, Intercooler, BD Computer, BD Exhaust Brake, BD Torque Lock, Propane Assisted from Trailer, Remote trans cooler, and More on my page http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9
    My other project.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/kayak

Kidd Guest

Heaviest on the flat, 39,060 total, 34 foot flatbed loaded with nearly 12 tons of hay.

Heaviest over grades, 24,150 pulling a load of green posts and rails on a 24 foot flatbed over two mountain ranges, dirt road.. average 12% grade. Was pretty easy pull, transfer case in 4 low, never got over 1800 rpm. You sure have time to look at scenery at that speed.

Truck is bone stock. Weights from Govt. weigh scale. Oh, and I am legal for 41,000 GCW.

K.D. 98 GMC Dually, 4X4 6.5

Heaviest documented tow 18,700# truck, GN trailer, JD 2020 tractor & impliments, biggest SWAG tow weight estimated 24,000# truck, GN trailer, which are 12K together (known weight), and another 12K (est.) for 535 Ford backhoe on the trailer. Both moved 200mi of hill & flat running, hills @ 55-60 mph, and flat 70-75 mph could have maybe gone some more but fear factor kicked in, that is a lot of weight to get stopped moving.
    Tim, 98GM K1500 6.5TD(L56/L65), Heath PCM,3.73 gear,4L80 tr,4" exh,Amz air filt&dual oil flts, Heath remote FSD, TDO-7 clone turbo, Heath fan clutch,mandrel crossover, pilar gage BST/EGT/TRN, remote elec fan tran cool,alum trn pan

Our saying here is that the first liar doesn't have a chance.. A load of soybeans on a four-wheel wagon. Top speed 30mph because of trailer and SMV regulations. Weighed at 39,860 gross, 11,080 tare for a net of 28,780 (479.66 bushels for the non-metric group).

Load was only towed 4-miles, but only grunt was up into the elevatore on gravel from a dead stop.
    Good Luck
    2005 Chevy 2500HD LLY EC/LB still stock

All I gotta say is try any of the pulls listed above with a 350 gasser! Pick-up trucks have come a long way!