Thread: Procedures for starting a 6.2 crate motor

Default Procedures for starting a 6.2 crate motor

I have a fresh 6.2 HMMWV take out I got from a company that deals in pulling them for the Military. I was told it was a crank and fire engine 2 years ago when first test ran, but it has not been touched since.

As soon as my starter gets here I am looking forward to firing it up for the 1st time. Can anyone give me the basic procedures on doing this? I would imagine it has lots of air in the lines, I have no clue how long this takes to purge out on it's own. Is it as simple as hooking up a jug of diesel and cranking until it idles on it's own?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson Nov.13th 1787

With the GLOW plugs OUT !!

Spin the engine until you get fuel mist blowing out the plug holes plus this will get oil pressure up too.

Install the plugs and go a for a normal start.

With the glow plugs out the engine spins very easy and the injectors can bleed the air out easily with little wear and tear on the starter and the batteries.

Once the fuel mist comes from the glow plug holes, it should fire right off

Be sure to install the rear hanger on the starter (little bracket that bolts to the block and the starter.)
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks Missy. So I can use the starter to turn it over with the GP's out? That is with the IP solenoid plugged in, correct? I guess it can't build up enough compression to ignite the fuel if all the air is escaping from the GP holes. Never thought about that Missy!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson Nov.13th 1787

Yup, yup

With the GP's out the engine will roll at around 400-500 RPM and with no compression to buck the injectors bleed out really quick.

Once the fog of fuel starts coming out the GP holes your good to go.

Yesss with the injection pump all hooked up and energized.

I always do it this way. Its wasy on batteries, starters and your patience.

Usually if you have fuel up to the IP through the filters and such, it only takes about 15-30 seconds of very easy cranking to giterdone.

The process will also fill the oil cooler, filters and such and bring pressure up on the gauge while your doing it.

Once this is done the engine should start right off and settle in right quick to a nice even chuckle.

Have fun

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Your a kickass gal. Have one on me, thanks a bunch.