Thread: Detroit diesel swap

Post Detroit diesel swap

Ok, so I was planning to put a marine 4-53 Detroit diesel in a 1965 Chevy c60 I was possibly wondering what i would have to change on the engine to have it work in a truck and maybe what it would take to turbo it but the turbo isn’t a must have, the only reason I want to use it is because I got the engine for free from a friend.

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

You'll need a lot. Intake system, exhaust system, cooling system, sump, transmission adapter, just to begin. The marine and on-road platforms are little alike, other than the long blocks. I think you'll find free really ain't free. It would probably be a lot less expensive to find an on-road engine to shoehorn in there.

Nice to see Mater found his hood. Again.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Yea that’s what I was beginning to think just want to get some confirmation I will probably still take the 4-53 and figure out something to do with it but I will start looking for a decent 4-53t can probably find one somewhere around here also probably going to get a 3-53 out of Crane it’s either to me or the scrapper.

And yea it was sitting around in the parts shed

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    I think you'll find free really ain't free.
    That pretty much typically applies… Free cats or dogs… Free vacation for listening to a timeshare presentation… Etc, etc, etc…
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Look here -

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=648408

Not into a C60, but this will give you an idea of what it takes.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

4-53 Detroits used to be used to power refrigerated rail cars. ifin your looking for one.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold