Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unleaded in Duramax

Well time for a happy dance. I finally picked my truck up on Thursday, she’s running great. The shop dropped the tank, completely flushed all of the fuel lines and replaced the fuel filter. The tech took it on a test drive with the scanner hooked up so he could check the health of the fuel injectors, etc. He said everything was all on limits and running great. And the kicker is he charged me $164.00 less than the first shop and did way more. And it’s running!! He took pictures of everything to prove they didn’t drop the tank, he gave me a fuel sample to show the first shop how much unleaded was still in the tank. He definitely went above and beyond for me and my truck. Now I’m just waiting for the pictures so I can take everything to the first shop to try and get my money back. Fingers crossed I can get that money back.

Thank you for asking for an update.

Arrow

That's great!! Sounds like one shop gained a repeat customer. As far as it goes for the "first" shop, I suggest demanding a full refund (even if they offer a partial saying "we did something"). Other options are BBB reviews, and a formal complaint through the local Chamber of Commerce. It sounds like they took advantage of a "distraught female" customer and they sold you a bill of goods (yeah, that still happens). You can also look at their posted certifications, and contact those agencies (ASE, etc, usually posted near the entrance or on a wall somewhere). I have zero tolerance for this, and they should be held accountable for operating a disreputable (and possibly criminal) public business (theft is theft), and betrayal of a common trust. The competency and quality of a shop is one thing. Intentionally billing a customer for services not provided is entirely different. How far you go is up to you. Most folks just leave it behind them, making it much easier for them to do this to you, and possibly countless others. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The second shop definitely has a new customer. Integrity and treating customers correctly are hard to come by these days. He even replaced the fuel filter and only charged me for the price of the filter, he didnt charge me anything for labor. He said its not about making money sometimes, its about taking care of customers. He doesnt like unethical shops. And yes I was distraught. I try not to be the female that gets taken advantage of. Im not stupid when it comes to vehicles, but if Im not sure of how something works, etc I educate myself. I will be going after the first shop. What they did was definitely unethical. They overcharged for work they did not perform and stated work they did not perform. I will give them the opportunity to make things right, but if they refuse to give me my money back I will pursue other options. The BBB, SAE, AAA and other acronyms will be notified just so this hopefully doesnt happen to someone else. Putting unleaded in my truck was my stupidity, but them not doing the work they said they performed couldve cost me some expensive repairs. I trusted them with my truck and they failed. I laughed at the service manager when she said she wanted to have someone pick up my truck so they can work on it again. It was a big pass for me. lol Hopefully the next post will be saying they refunded my money.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaBrat View Post
    Hopefully the next post will be saying they refunded my money.
    Or you telling us you're scheduled to appear on "Judge Judy"...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Hahahaha. Yes!!! Episode air date to be posted. Lol

Thanks for updating us Lisa. I'm glad the old gal is working right again!
    Go getem!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Let us know what the outcome is for getting a refund or satisfaction from the first shop. "Good Luck"

Just a quick update on the status of trying to get a refund on the sh*tty repair job at Big Apple Automotive. I visited the shop on Friday to ask for a refund. The service manager made copies off all of my paperwork and documentation. I was making a day to day log of what was done, said, etc. She told me she would present the paperwork to the General Manager William. I just now received a call from the same service manger Joann. She stated that William is not going to give me my money back for the repairs. His reasoning was because they gave me the opportunity to bring my truck back to them to do the repairs again. Who in their right minds would put their vehicle back into the hands of an incompetent shop!! Its amazing to me that a shop can get away with this. especially after the technician lied about the work he performed. So if anyone has any suggestions on what my next course of action can be Im open to suggestions. Im pissed and fuming right now because they got away with this. And AAA recommends them to customers!

Hi,

My next stop would be my insurance agent, to see what coverage you might have for a comprehensive claim. That discussion might also yield some advice from an insurer's point of view.

And right after that, I would do a face to face with the general manager, explaining that if he didn't do the right thing, you have your state's consumer fraud division in your GPS -- ready to go.

Good luck!
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Arrow

Small claims court. You can sue for any losses/expenses due to their (in)actions, not just the amount of the bill. If you were billed fraudulently (sure sounds like it), the suit can be 3X that. Maybe ask the technician who finally helped you if he'd be interested in appearing as a witness (include his time/wage in your suit). Evidence and witnesses wins cases. Maybe get a "free" consult with a local attorney. If nothing else, you may get some directional advice that will be helpful. You can also use the dialog here as evidence of the chronology (the time-stamps are absolutely accurate, and access is public).

Also, file reports with AAA, BBB, (CCC, DDD, EIEIO), and the local Chamber of Commerce.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Right! If AAA recommended them (is that why you went there?) make sure AAA knows you spent hundreds of dollars and got no benefit whatsoever. Some of the work charged for was not done and the problem was not resolved. Agreed, after the obvious fraud, you could not be expected to bring it back to them even if they were not going to charge you.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

They said they dropped the tank and did a complete drain and purge of the fuel system. We knew this to be a lie. The tank was never dropped, the straps were untouched, bolts untouched and the dirt on the tank was untouched.
    If I were in the boonies, and quite a bit of gasoline somehow found its way into the fuel tank, I'd likely not drop the tank to flush the system...

I'd attach a suitably sized fuel-rated hose to the bottom of the fuel filter drain fitting to allow draining the contaminated fuel into a large fuel container (one or more 5 gallon fuel jugs), then pressurize the fuel tank using no more than 5 to 10 psi using a regulated air supply till nothing but air was being expelled. Tightly wrap the air hose using an oily rag, and cram it into the fuel tank filler neck. You may need someone to hold it in.

Then, I'd pour in at least 10 gallons of clean diesel fuel into the tank, and then purge the fuel line till clean smelling diesel fuel was seen draining from the fuel filter drain.

Then, I'd change and bleed the new fuel filter. Crank to start. As a percentage, the tiny amount of gasoline remaining won't harm anything. Jim