Thread: To bypass or to not bypass

Default To bypass or to not bypass

Hey everyone,
    I hope everybody is doing well.
    So since my last post when my injector pump(CP3) went out, I added a FASS system. Truck now runs better than ever except when I get down to 1/4 of a tank. I am aware that FASS offers a kit to remedy this.

So my question is this. Should I keep the fuel filter that is in the factory location, or purchase the bypass kit since the FASS unit has a filter and a true water separator?
    Thanks for reading and offering you opinions.
    2003 Ext. Cab Long Bed
    Banks Cold Air
    Banks Exhaust
    SAC injectors
    EFI Live Tuning

Leave the factory filter in place. It is much better than it is credited and the filters that you are using are grossly overrated.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Hey Kennedy,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
    So I have been changing the factory filter with no more than 15,000 miles of use. It is to my understanding that this is the recommendation of GM. Should I keep to this regiment? This is a POV. I use the truck for long trips, hauling firewood, occasionally carrying a slide in camper, etc, etc. I truly love the "I want to go" feeling no matter what when I apply pressure to the skinny pedal.
    158,000 miles.
    Thanks again!
    2003 Ext. Cab Long Bed
    Banks Cold Air
    Banks Exhaust
    SAC injectors
    EFI Live Tuning

Filter change intervals are simply a guide/guesstimate. One truck may run empty on the highway and get near 20mpg. The next truck may tow and get 10mpg burning 2x the fuel in 15k. Then there is the variance in cleanliness of the source fuel which can be even greater. For this reason I use a filter restriction gauge:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=289

In my case I am changing oil every 10k with primary fuel filter every 20-40k and secondary once in a blue moon. This is because I fuel from my own tank with double filters and treatment which would not work in the real world.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Hey Kennedy,
    I apologize for not getting back sooner. As you know life happens.
    Thank you very much for your input. I will definitely look into the filter restriction gauge.
    I am currently adding Diesel Kleen (white bottle) at just about every fill up. Would you consider this to be a respectable product? 30 years ago when I was driving a Mercedes box truck halfway across the country on a regular bases, we were not using any additives. So what I am saying here is that, yes I know today's fuel is low sulfur and my engine was designed for higher sulfur. Should I keep using an additive?
    I apologize for my ignorance in this matter. Life has lead me to know my limitations and defer to experience whenever possible.
    I again appreciate your time and experience.
    Thanks,
    2003 Ext. Cab Long Bed
    Banks Cold Air
    Banks Exhaust
    SAC injectors
    EFI Live Tuning

I ignore the DIC and change my fuel filter every 10,000 miles. 202,000 on the clock now and the fuel system still works great and only 1 injector replaced in that entire time.

Filters are much cheaper than the engine. Oil filter and oil changed every 5,000 miles since new.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Hi Ed, thanks for the input. Are you using any type of fuel additive?
    My injectors were replaced at about 107,000 on my dime or should I say thousands of dimes. Since the truck had about 50,000 miles on it I have been running Amsoil(Amsoil states that I would be OK to go to 20K). Changing the oil filter every 7K and oil and filter every 14k. At 7k the oil still has a very nice light light brown color to it. At 14K it is black as to be expected. Factory fuel filter every 15K. I am a field tech by trade and believe in maintenance. I have run a few gas powered vehicles beyond 250k plus and an S10 well passed 300k before selling it them.

Oh, since my last post the wife needed to use my truck while her Honda minivan was in getting the roof repainted (factory recall). She tried to take it through a drive thru. Now the drivers side of the bed needs to be replaced. Yippeee!!! $10,000 truck now worth maybe $7,000. I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture later.
    2003 Ext. Cab Long Bed
    Banks Cold Air
    Banks Exhaust
    SAC injectors
    EFI Live Tuning

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Cold water View Post
    ......I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture later.
    You can link from any outside storage site, or go HERE and upload them to your photo album here (a new option for every TDP Forums member).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Hi Ed, thanks for the input. Are you using any type of fuel additive?
    My injectors were replaced at about 107,000 on my dime or should I say thousands of dimes. Since the truck had about 50,000 miles on it I have been running Amsoil(Amsoil states that I would be OK to go to 20K). Changing the oil filter every 7K and oil and filter every 14k. At 7k the oil still has a very nice light light brown color to it. At 14K it is black as to be expected. Factory fuel filter every 15K. I am a field tech by trade and believe in maintenance. I have run a few gas powered vehicles beyond 250k plus and an S10 well passed 300k before selling it them.

Oh, since my last post the wife needed to use my truck while her Honda minivan was in getting the roof repainted (factory recall). She tried to take it through a drive thru. Now the drivers side of the bed needs to be replaced. Yippeee!!! $10,000 truck now worth maybe $7,000. I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture later.
    I use this additive and have since new - https://fppf.com/product/total-power/.

It was recommended by a member here and I get it from him by the case. Has it helped with my injector longevity? Don't know, but I do still have 7 of the original 8 injectors and they seem to be working fine at 200,000+. My mileage both loaded and unloaded hasn't changed a bit and the engine runs great and idles smooth.
    Ed
    KM4STL

I am currently adding Diesel Kleen (white bottle) at just about every fill up. Would you consider this to be a respectable product?
    In a word NO. I have been quoted as saying that the only place I will pour Power Service products is in my drain oil container.

FPPF Total Power

Same goes for FASS
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Just to counterpoint Kennedy's post, I've been using about a cup of grey bottle power service in every tank of fuel since owning my truck (bought at 130K miles). I now have well over 160K miles on it and have yet to have any fuel related issues including (knock on wood) bad injectors. Truck starts, runs, and accelerates like the day I bought it. Same mileage too (14 winter, 16 summer).

How's that old saying go? Oil is better than no oil.

A vote for FPPF here. I have always used this product since my truck was new (12 miles on the ODO). I don't think I have ever missed adding it to a tank. Now with 202,000 miles and the only issue in that entire time has been one replaced injector at aprox 170,000. Mileage hasn't changed a bit in that entire time.

Also, fuel filter changes every 10,00 regardless of what the computer tells me. Oil and filter changes every 5,000 and transmission fluid and filter changes at 25,000.

Oil and filters are cheap, engines and transmissions are not.
    Ed
    KM4STL

I just use a simple analogy that can be applied to most anything. In this case I'll use booze. Walk into a liquor store and buy a $10 bottle of say whiskey versus a $30. What's the difference? Both have same alcohol content, both will get you drunk just the same so why buy the better one? In the case of fuel the two fuel treatments in question the price gap is negligible.

As for the LLY it has without a doubt the most trouble free fuel system of any Dmax to date. It runs at lower pressures like the LB7 and does not have the VCO style nozzle that is prone to do the blue smoke deal.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Given that I have a tendency towards nothing less than $50 bottles of bourbon, your analogy isn't lost on me.
    But
    I can taste the difference. Can an engine? In other words, what does FPPF provide that the others don't?
    (sorry if I'm turning this into another oil thread...)

Quote Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
    In other words, what does FPPF provide that the others don't?
    I'm curious too. I've been adding white Power Service every tank since I bought both the K2500 and the Yukon - primarily upon recommendation from here many moons ago.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
    Given that I have a tendency towards nothing less than $50 bottles of bourbon, your analogy isn't lost on me.
    But
    I can taste the difference. Can an engine? In other words, what does FPPF provide that the others don't?
    (sorry if I'm turning this into another oil thread...)
    Water removal, decarbonization, better lubricity NO ALCOHOLS etc. Power Service has a history/reputation for using alcohols and wrecking stuff. That may be in the past but...

https://fppf.com/wp-content/uploads/...ormance_v2.pdf
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Thank you for the follow-up. I'm not seeing any alcohols in their MSDS: https://powerservice.com/wp-content/...nt_11-3-16.pdf

And they have the fancy-schmancy propaganda sheet too: https://powerservice.com/wp-content/...HR_NoCrops.pdf

I'm not saying which one is better, but I've had at least a decade with Power Service with seemingly favorable results. I'd be curious if anyone has seen a head-to-head comparison of the products?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423