I have a 1964 J200 Kaiser/Jeep/Gladiator that is a mess of a truck. The original drive train is long gone. The truck is rough enough there is no real point in actually restoring it. It will simply be a resto mod fun truck for me. Overlanding, camping, fishing, hauling the boat to the lake, ect.

Currently it sits with a non running AMC 360, a TH400, and a quadratrac transfer case. It sits on an unknown origin rear axle and a closed knuckle Dana 44. I will be sliding a 14 bolt FF 8 lug axle with new 4.56:1 gears and a Yukon Duragrip under the rear. I have a 8 lug Dana 44 front axle from a military square body Blazer that I have not rebuilt or re geared yet that I was thinking about using. It will all be riding on 35" or 37" tires.

My original intent was a diesel swap with a 4 speed auto or possibly a manual trans backing it. The path I was contemplating was the Merc 4x4 conversion with OM617 but was thinking that would be a bit under powered.

I have since come across a dirt cheap deal on a HMMWV 6.5 TD take out with trans and transfer case attached. It is a 4L80e trans so that would get me my 4 speed trans I intended. I will have to figure out my front axle and transfer case options if I go this route since the HMMWV is a Drivers side drop TC and both my current Dana 44's are passenger side drop.

I have done some reading on the 6.5 TD so I know the common concerns with the PMD relocation, lift pump inadequacies, and a few other minor nitpicks.

What I do not know and what I need to determine is what the minimum is to get this hooked up in a non standard vehicle since this 2001 era 6.5 TD is electronically controlled rather than mechanical.

Obviously I will have to find a solution for:

1) Trans control - The takeout drive train will have no control units that were not mounted directly to the engine. If it was attached to body sheet metal or in the cab it will not be included. Most of the harness items will be disconnected or cut and left dangling from the engine and trans. Most of the linkages will be there but again could have been damaged or cut on removal.
I am guessing a stand alone TCM will need to be sourced.

2) 24v to 12v changes. Anything left attached to the drive train that is still 24 volt will have to be swapped for 12 volt. I am thinking a few of the solenoids or sensors may be an issue here but I am not familiar enough with the differences between the Civilian and HMMWV 6.5 TD engines and accessories. Starter maybe a concern as well?

3) Engine control - again I will not have the benefit of any control modules, ecm's, or ecu's that were not bolted directly to the engine. I may have a cut or incomplete harness. I will be looking for the bare minimum needed to hook up, start, and run the engine in the primitive '64 bay of the old Kaiser.

4) Transfer Case Linkage. I can likely figure this one out or fab something up. I imagine it is like most Transfer cases and it is a configuration of one or more push/pull plungers moving internal forks actuated by manual levers. I have a couple Dana 20 cases sitting around but adapting one to the 4L80e may be cost prohibitive even if it would solve my differential location problem.

5) Mounting, cooling, and drive shafts. These are the easy parts and would have been a part of any swap I was going to do. FSJ to Chevy V8 mounts are plentiful and easy to acquire if can't fab/use existing hardware. I was going to need driveshafts made with I swapped axles and ditched the quadrajunk anyway.

So with that long winded intro to my swap plan what input do the wise and learned minds of TDP have?

Is there a good breakdown of the engine connections for these electronic 6.5 TD motors? Is there a good source of engine control harnesses and modules if mine is missing and or unusable?

Cost effective TCM options?

I am probably crazy but the 6.5 TD will be more or less free once I sell the 360, accumulated after market parts, and TH400. My only costs will be in the items I need to source to hook up the new drivetrain.