Thread: Detroit Diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I had a 4-53 in an IH travelall. Things I disliked: Noise (but that is exactly what you LIKED), fuel economy (only got 12-13 mpg). Things I liked: Power and torque.
    My boss had a 4-71 in an old work truck and it always sounded a lot more "sedate" than mine (lower rumble, smoother), not sure why.

If you want to go with the aluminum 4-71, I would recommend investing in an Allison 1000 transmission (if you want A/T) or one of the newer 6 or even 7 speed manuals. The DDAD's rev like there's no tomorrow, but they don't like to lug. Right gears will make the whole experience a LOT better.

well if i were to do this, i'm thinking of a pickup truck size here, and 4x4 as well. but preferably manual transmission. just seems to me that a 4-71 is a bit taller and heavier, and a 6 or 7 speed for it would be a fairly heavy transmission as well. would make me worry about the front axle a little.

my dad still has a 1969 gmc 9500 tandem axle truck on the farm. he uses it every spring and fall and it doesn't seem to let him down. its got a 6-71 that has been rebuilt twice, the second time was due to a broken crankshaft from the first rebuild which was only about 100 miles old at the point of the second rebuild. but even if those engines don't usually like low rpm, this thing could tear its own brakes apart in low gear............

i grew up on the farm and listening to that truck throughout the years made me love the detroit diesel sound. which is why i am wanting one in a pickup truck now
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Default 4-71 Detroit

To bad your so far away. I have a 4-71 but it has a cast iron block. all the parts are there needs an overhaul tho...........even have an inline bell housing that's aluminum for an automotive application

Question

Do you know if the 453 and 353 have the same bell housing pattern...hate to sound stupid. Am I wrong thinking the 353 is a DOT 3 and the 453 is a DOT 4? I keep coming up with conflicting info when I search the web. Will a particular Chevy bell housing bolt right up or is there a lot of modifying involved?

Quote Originally Posted by tjmac77 View Post
    Do you know if the 453 and 353 have the same bell housing pattern...hate to sound stupid. Am I wrong thinking the 353 is a DOT 3 and the 453 is a DOT 4? I keep coming up with conflicting info when I search the web. Will a particular Chevy bell housing bolt right up or is there a lot of modifying involved?
    sorry, not sure exactly. i myself am still wondering whats required to make a chevy transmission bolt up. the guys at the local detroit dealer told me that they use SAE #1 bellhousings on the motors. and he never specified what size or series though....
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Thumbs up Rear housings

the inline rear housings will interchange, I think there are 3 maybe 4 different different size openings for the flywheel and clutch assembelies. they also have adapters to fit different applications to power transmissions PTO's or hydraulic pumps. WHEN you start getting down to the nitty gritty of putting this thing together I can fax you a sheet with the spec's and measurements........have to dig it out of the archives

Quote Originally Posted by DeezilDoc View Post
    the inline rear housings will interchange, I think there are 3 maybe 4 different different size openings for the flywheel and clutch assembelies. they also have adapters to fit different applications to power transmissions PTO's or hydraulic pumps. WHEN you start getting down to the nitty gritty of putting this thing together I can fax you a sheet with the spec's and measurements........have to dig it out of the archives
    ok.......this is whats mostly been holding me up from avidly searching for an engine. i have a 79 pickup sittin around that needs some good axles, but meanwhile it has a 350, SM465, and NP205.

so i'm thinking the tranny and t-case will work just fine for me, as long as i can get the transmission bolted up to a detroit engine and get a clutch that will work with this thing.

what can you tell me about the engine to transmission adapters? maybe you have a part number from general motors or detroit diesel??? any help would be appreciated. thanks

Smile Transmission adapters...

Hi Gophergunner. I have been reading the posts here and may have some help for you with the trans. part numbers for the 4-53. I have a 53 series SAE #3 housing too if you are interested. It is the housing that has the round opening for a trans with the SAE bolt pattern with 17 inch bolt to bolt pattern. The adapter adapts the rear housing of the engine to a standard GM bell housing to bolt up to a 4 bolt manual transmission with clutch and all. Not sure if the part numbers are valid anymore though. The adapter uses the standard rear trans mount across the frame. Good luck!

Smile 4-53 transmission adapters for manual trans.-GM

Hi. I am an avid detroit diesel fan too and have put a 4-53T in a 1964 chevy suburban 4x4. It wasn't easy but worked okay. I was pretty happy with it overall. I have some part numbers for the bell housing stuff and info on the dimensions for the 4-53 engine if you are interested. Good luck. You may have already done the conversion by now! Scratch my head!

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
    I had a 4-53 in an IH travelall. Things I disliked: Noise (but that is exactly what you LIKED), fuel economy (only got 12-13 mpg). Things I liked: Power and torque.
    My boss had a 4-71 in an old work truck and it always sounded a lot more "sedate" than mine (lower rumble, smoother), not sure why.

If you want to go with the aluminum 4-71, I would recommend investing in an Allison 1000 transmission (if you want A/T) or one of the newer 6 or even 7 speed manuals. The DDAD's rev like there's no tomorrow, but they don't like to lug. Right gears will make the whole experience a LOT better.

I worked at a Detroit Diesel/Allison shop for years. The rotors inside the blower are shaped differently on a 53 series than the other series Detroits (71, 92, etc). The 53 rotors are straight while the 71 are twisted into a spiral shape. That's why a 53 series is louder than a 71, the extra noise from a 53 is coming from the blower.

I am now on the hunt for an aluminum block Detroit Diesel. In fact, an engine with aluminum heads and front/rear covers would be ideal.

6V-53 preferrable, but I am also considering a 4-53.

Obviously, I'm willing to pay shipping costs to get it here, so then naturally aluminum would be nicer for that as well.

Running or not, if its an aluminum block I would like to get my hands on it.

Thanks.

Since we're on the subject of aluminum Detroits, here's a pic of my aluminum 4-71 in my 1 ton Silverado.

A lot has been done to the motor (ceramic coated piston domes and teflon coated skirts), Jet-hot coated exhaust (and turbo), etc. It will also be intercooled. I have a 10 speed Roadranger to go behind it.