Thread: Head studs in truck

Default Head studs in truck

Hello all, about to do injectors, glow plugs, and valve cover gaskets on my truck on Christmas Eve, was wondering if it would be worth doing head studs while I have it apart. I don’t plan on doing head gaskets or removing the heads. I’ve done a lot of research on doing studs but havnt seen anything on doing them still on the truck with this engine. Seen it done on other trucks and done it on gas engines before

So is it worth doing or wait till I need to do head gaskets. I plan on doing turbo and tube upgrades soon so I wanted to not have head issues
    Last edited by Mikeselky85; 12-07-2018 at 15:27.

Hello

Welcome to TDP

If you are planning on doing gaskets too, then it might not be too bad of a deal

Don't use gaskets on the VC

Clean and straighten the VC flanges.

Clean the top ridge of the head where the VC sits.

Clean all surfaces with BRAKEKLEEN and dry them.

Thread in a couple long studs on the top edge of the head to pilot the VC back on.

Add a generous bead of high temp silicone sealer all around the VC seal lip.

Mack sure the silicone goes around all the bolt holes too.

Slide the VC down on the head, then insert the bolts and just barely snug them.

Allow silicone to cure overnight and then finish snugging the bolts down.

BIG DEAL ...make sure the VC flanges sit down well all the way around before adding the silicone.

A bent up flange or bolt holes that have been pulled down leaving a bump on the side that contacts the head are a NO NO.

If the head gaskets are not going to be replaced I would leave the bolts alone.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY