Thread: Broken Ear Fix???

Default Broken Ear Fix???

Ever heard of a repair on a broken starter ear that took???

I assume your outer bolt/hole is snapped off ?????

This normally the result of not having the small bracket on the front of the starter, and can be exacerbated by using NON STOCK BOLTS too.

I repaired one very nice block that would have been a shame to toss out.

The engine block was bare.
    I tossed the block in the mill and machined the broken edge of the starter mounting pad square with the bottom flange of the block.

Next I milled a small "key slot" in the center of the new vertical surface.

A suitable chunk of cold rolled steel square stock was machined to replace the broken part of the casting.

The steel part was machined to index into the "key slot" in the block.

Next two bolt holes were drilled through the steel block and into the engine block to retain the new piece.

The starter was installed with a dummy crank and ring gear to allow getting the gear teeth clearance correct.

New bolt hole was drilled and tapped for the factory bolt.

The factory counter bore where the bolt enters the block was added as well.

The retaining bolts for the new part were secured with RED loctite.

The key slot does the holding of the new part....the bolts simply keep it in place.

The front stabilizer bracket was used as well.

The repair was successful and as far as I know the rig the engine went in is still on the road.

As far as an "IN FRAME" fix ......not so much...no room to work in there.

The key to NOT HAVING THIS AREA BREAK is to use the front support hanger.

NEVER LEAVE IT OFF.

I wish I could offer you more hope....but this is a real ugly issue with nearly no easy fixes.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Yes. I was rebuilding a 6.2L I purchased from a salvage yard, and discovered the broken ear during the rebuild process. I had a machine shop weld and repair the broken section, and ended up using a longer bolt with a nut on top. It wasn't perfect, but it worked for years and years.

This was easy to do since the motor was already out and down to a bare block. If you need to repair one with the engine still in the truck, that's a different story.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Block is for sale,,,, considering purchase,,,,, friend of mine runs a fab shop and is really good. Makes parts for Boeing,,, U.S. Army 105mm howitzers etc. thanks,,,

Hi Two many diesels

Unless the block is a double diamond Navstar? block...
    Find one that isn't broke.
    Chances are that if it isn't a diamond block it has cracks in the main bearing castings anyway.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

JUST SAYING

If this is something for sale....as mentioned....if it's a NAVISTAR BLOCK WITH THE <> IN THE VALLEY

MAYBE.

BUT as much as I LIKE good deals I would pass..., READ THIS AS LEAVE IT ALONE.

Don't buy that can of worms....

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I agree with the replies above. I would pass on that deal and look for another one. Even though I bought a junkyard 6.2L with a broken ear and then rebuilt it, it wasn't until I was already far along in the rebuild process before I noticed the broken ear. My starter always made noise, and I could never get it shimmed properly to operate quietly. I was always worried the ear would break off again as well.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I had an 82 that had broken ear, I fixed it in the truck by laying a piece of carbon rod in what was left of the threads and started building it up with nickel rod, once build up was done,(about 2 hrs) then rethreaded hole and made me a tail support bracket and worked great.

Hi
    If you took any pictures that would be awesome...
    Then someone can see what was done,and also show someone that it can be done.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Hi
    If you took any pictures that would be awesome...
    Then someone can see what was done,and also show someone that it can be done.
    I wish I would have but that was before camera phones.