Thread: 6.5l td rough running under 1500rpm when warm

Default 6.5l td rough running under 1500rpm when warm

Greeting,

I'm hoping yall can help me confirm my suspicions. I got this 97 k3500 6.5l td as a shop truck. It had been sitting for nearly three years. Once I got it running it ran great, I decided to drive it until i ran the old fuel out and fill with a new tank. after i filled the tank i got about three miles down the road before a check engine light came on. when i came to a stop it started running really rough, got hard to start and stalled, lots of white smoke.

I did notice i smelled burning plastic. when I got home I checked under the hood and sure enough the turbo vaccum line had melted because the last owner routed it across the hot section. So i fixed it and it ran great again... or so I thought. i test drive it and it starts doing it again. I changed my fuel filter because i thought there may be contaminates but that didnt fix it either. I hooked up my scanner and had two codes. P1214 "injection pump timing offset" and p0216 "injection timing control circuit". I checked those on shopkey which lead me to monitor the injector timing. it was reading fine. I decided to drive it until it started having problems again. i parked and looked and my actual time said 0.0 with 13 at idle. using my scanner i set idle to 1500rpm. the desired time increased and the actual time stayed at 0 UNTIL i got it above 1500 rpm. at which point the truck stabilized. I'm thinking either pdm or optical sensor?

TL&DR

Runs like crap above 170 degrees temp
    Runs fine over 1500 rpm
    Codes p1214 and P0216 active and dont go away
    Monitoring injection timing shows actual at 0 when having problems until 1500
    fuel filter, air filter, glow plugs, batteries and oil is all new.
    Fuel is fresh.
    is a pump mounted PMD

Edit: actually I do have a remote mounted PMD but when i plug it in the truck just cranks and doesnt even try to start, it does have the resistor in it. if you have thoughts on that too I would be kindly grateful.
    Last edited by angryratchet; 03-03-2019 at 04:31. Reason: new information

Default Update

It took forever for me to figure this out, but my problem was the injection pump was wayyyyy out of time. just fyi

Glad you got it scoped out.

These things can drive you crazy at times.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY