Thread: The right tool for installing the balancer

Default The right tool for installing the balancer

I will change the balancer on my 6.2 and will make a tool for the job. Can someone who knows please tell me what thread it is in the center of the crank?

Sorry, I don't recall myself. I simply used an old crankshaft bolt and welded on another section of threaded rod to make my own installation tool.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Hmm can be Ill do the same. I have ordered a Fluidampr balancer, and perhaps it comes with a new center bolt?

Don't count on a new center bolt in the box. Unless they specifically said it comes with one, it won't.

While it's always good practice to replace the bolt every time (and recommended by GM), I only ever replaced damaged bolts. Installation is simple, and an installation tool should be used, but it doesn't have to be complicated. Just don't beat it into place with a hammer. A longer bolt/thread is all that's needed to get it started. I recommend one long enough that it can be fully threaded in, and a nut used to tighten down onto the balancer. You only get one set of crank threads, so don't abuse them any more than absolutely necessary. I don't recall the thread size and pitch, but no doubt someone else here does, and there's always google.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thank you for a good tip.
    On You Tube I have seen the installation tool one can buy and they have an axial bearing between the big nut and the damper to be installed. I am doubtful if this really is necessary. A big washer and some oil? Shouldn't that be sufficient?