Thread: Detroit 2 53 oil capacity

Default Detroit 2 53 oil capacity

Pretty straightforward question, I picked up a genset with that engine on it, it ate a valve and I just got it all rebuilt and running but I'm not sure on the oil capacity. Looks like the dipstick is broke off as there are no marks on it and it looks like someone had taken a grinder to it. Closest I've found is 9 quarts in a 3 53. I put 8 in it to get it going but I have no idea whats supposed to be in it and finding a new dipstick for it is practically impossible. Not a lot of the little engines around. Anyone know? I have a service manual for it but it doesnt have capacity info in it.

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

They can vary, depending on the application. What is the genset model and kw rating? Date of mfg would also be helpful. Any numbers you have on it would also help.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Farmer12

Are you working on a 53 series two stroke Detroit Diesel? If so try to post some pictures.
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

It is a 53, the number on it is 5024-7101.

It’s a Delco gen and the model# is YI-4983. There is a mark after the 3 but I can’t see what it is. It’s 1800 rpm and 21.5 kw. Here’s a couple pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow those pics didn’t come out clear on the upload at all

Arrow

http://lnx.numeralkod.com/wordpress/?page_id=2009

Scroll to the Detroit Engine listings. The earliest series 53 manuals are 1969 in this list (I suspect yours is significantly older, but the pubs should be adequate). Significant pub changes weren't until 72 and later, mostly for the 3-53 and larger. Application-specific sumps didn't begin until after this, as well.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

That’s the same manual I have now. I couldn’t find anything in it about capacities anywhere. But that’s a good site to have.

Arrow

Sure enough. Specifications for everything but the oil capacity. I'll see if I can find some older pubs. Surely one of them will mention it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Arrow

First, please note that even this is a (relatively) small engine, all the 2-stroke Detroit Diesel caveats apply, namely having an immediate means to shut it down in the case of a runaway. This can happen on an improperly set up fuel system, and isn't uncommon among unknown repair/overhaul sources, and engines that have sat for extended periods (sticky governor, etc.). The engine probably doesn't have an adjustable throttle, so it should go to full governor once started (1800 RPMs, not accidental, a multiple of 60Hz for US AC power, meaning it inverts twice per rev).

I'm falling flat on this. Seems there a lot of them in service, and a lot of folks are talking about them in nearly every detail possible, except the actual oil sump capacity.

That said, you need to determine the actual length of the dipstick in relation to the sump. Fortunately, your engine is vertical (horizontal sump orientation, not diagonal/slant). Ideally, the oil level, with a full lubrication system and filter(s), the hot level should be about 1/2 to 1 inch below the oil pan top edge (where it bolts to the block, which will be your low/high range). So, if your dipstick is reaching at least the lowest level (1" below the block), it is still usable, or needs to be replaced or extended if it isn't. It seems some users actually marked original dipsticks with level marks (drill, scribe, etc.), which may indicate the originals had no marks (no mention of it, anywhere), or they were replaced/repaired at some point.

My simple calculation, not having your machine on hand, is you'll end up about 6 qts, but unsure if that will be with or without an oil cooler (some or many didn't have one, and the manual states "if"). I suggest starting at 5 qts, verify it isn't overfull, start and run it to make sure the system is full, then shut down and check again. Repeat as necessary. Checks should be about 15 minutes after shutdown. Once you establish a stable level within the range on a hot engine, mark your dipstick, and note the amount of oil it took to get there (then permanently mark it on the engine, somewhere).

Please let us know how this ends. I'm curious, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Well I think I figured it out. There is a couple faint marks on the stick and holding it outside the block its about an inch below the rail. I didn’t think anything of the lines because they just looked like someone drug the grinder across it. So I think problem solved.

Arrow

Great! So, what's the capacity?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

years ago when I was an apprentice oiler we would used a file to mark dipsticks with cold check marks. CATS were all running check marks. But the Detroits we had were all file marks or a small notch in the side of the dip stick.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Default Oil capacity

I operated/maintained many Detroit's in the Navy I cluding gensets like yours. Don't remember exactly numbers but if it is on a level mount 2 gal. Should suffice.
    NOTE never idle any GM 2 stroke more than 15 minutes without wiping out the airboxes.
    Doing so is a potential runaway when load and speed are added.