Thread: Detroit 2 53 oil capacity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Detroit 2 53 oil capacity

Pretty straightforward question, I picked up a genset with that engine on it, it ate a valve and I just got it all rebuilt and running but I'm not sure on the oil capacity. Looks like the dipstick is broke off as there are no marks on it and it looks like someone had taken a grinder to it. Closest I've found is 9 quarts in a 3 53. I put 8 in it to get it going but I have no idea whats supposed to be in it and finding a new dipstick for it is practically impossible. Not a lot of the little engines around. Anyone know? I have a service manual for it but it doesnt have capacity info in it.

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

They can vary, depending on the application. What is the genset model and kw rating? Date of mfg would also be helpful. Any numbers you have on it would also help.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Farmer12

Are you working on a 53 series two stroke Detroit Diesel? If so try to post some pictures.
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

It is a 53, the number on it is 5024-7101.

It’s a Delco gen and the model# is YI-4983. There is a mark after the 3 but I can’t see what it is. It’s 1800 rpm and 21.5 kw. Here’s a couple pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow those pics didn’t come out clear on the upload at all

Arrow

http://lnx.numeralkod.com/wordpress/?page_id=2009

Scroll to the Detroit Engine listings. The earliest series 53 manuals are 1969 in this list (I suspect yours is significantly older, but the pubs should be adequate). Significant pub changes weren't until 72 and later, mostly for the 3-53 and larger. Application-specific sumps didn't begin until after this, as well.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

That’s the same manual I have now. I couldn’t find anything in it about capacities anywhere. But that’s a good site to have.

Arrow

Sure enough. Specifications for everything but the oil capacity. I'll see if I can find some older pubs. Surely one of them will mention it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A