Thread: Performance Chip

Default Performance Chip

After I replaced my injectors I ordered a performance chip and after two tanks of diesel there was no impovement in gas mileage. The company suggested switching the wires in which I did but still no improvement. Has anyone else had that problem? I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Arrow

Which "chip" did you install (what power level are you using, if applicable), and what wires did you switch (what were they switched to, and from)? Do you have a noticeable increase in power? It should be obvious. What other modifications have you made, if any, to your powertrain?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Chip

Got it from Autochipsdirect.com It is easy to install having two wires that you connect to the correct color wire to your sensor on the air filter. It did absolutely nothing after 2 tanks of diesel. No modifications.

Arrow

It's snake oil. It didn't do anything (positive), because it can't. Get your money back, if you can.

To get ANY benefit from modifying only the MAF signal value, it would have to be significant, and the PCM won't be happy (set DTC's and default fueling mode) well short of that. MAF signal mod's work, but only with additional tuning, which should be left to the DIY programmer experts. Holey pistons are no fun.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Default Chip

I will attempt to get a refund as that company does offer a "lifetime warranty" but I won't be surprised if I can't. The chip only cost me about $68.00 so I won't go bankrupt. I have heard from a few here locally that a chip worked for them, but also heard some got the same results as me. I used to get a bit over 15mpg but then some rough idling, smoke, etc so I changed out the injectors but now average 13.47 mpg. I was hoping the chip would put me back to a bit over 15mpg.

Arrow

There are many ways to improve fuel economy, and driving habits is the most effective. Snake oil solutions have been around for decades, and the vast majority of them rely on the "placebo affect". Meaning, if a person installs something that's supposed to improve mileage, they'll change their driving habits to make that happen. The device(s) may seem to have worked, but in the end, it was their driving habit change that worked.

I suspect what you bought is nothing more than a $0.04 resistor, in a fancy box. In our world of shotgun marketing, it doesn't have to "work" very often for them to profit.

Good luck!
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Talk to Kennedy at www.kennedydiesel.com

Retuning your truck will typically give a small improvement. But it's not cheap.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project