Thread: 1990 V-1500 Suburban 6.2 Inst. Panel Gauge Replacement

Red face 1990 V-1500 Suburban 6.2 Inst. Panel Gauge Replacement

Long time observer, first-time post!

My 6.2 project has gone to the instrument cluster where I'm trying to replace the stock gauges w/auto meter analog gauges. Pulled the stock panel and realized instantly that I was in big trouble! I was not prepared for printed circuits! My electrical expertise sucks and I feel like I've just stepped over the edge of a really tall cliff!

I've got wiring diagrams but they are all oriented around the printed circuit layout. I'm hoping to find a way to hard wire my new gauges to the existing bundle behind the printed board.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some help in this area???

Thanks!

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

The PCB's in early (non-logic) instrument panels were only used as a method of distributing the wiring to the various analogs, without the mess of a rat's nest and ease of original installation. This method began way before your 1990 model (early 70's?). I don't recall offhand when the logic boards were first used, but I'm fairly certain it was well after your model. Adapting the original harness to your cluster should be straight forward if you follow the diagram. Don't let the PCB scare you.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Thanks!

Thanks! Appreciate the encouragement. I guess the fact that I was surprised to find the PCB behind the instrument panel kinda tells ya how long it's been since I've been behind the gauges!

Actually, my '77 Cherokee 'S' didn't have one (a PCB), but then that was AMC so hard to say!

Anyway, your encouragement was helpful and things don't seem as bad now that I've had a chance to digest a bit more of the diagram. Not out of the woods yet, and may have to call on y'all again, but it's good to know that you're there!

Doc
    1977 Jeep Cherokee S, 401
    1990 Chevy V-1500 Suburban 6.2 Heavy 1/2 Ton
    2012 Honda Odyssey