Thread: Intro and emergency questions

Default Intro and emergency questions

Hello,

I thought I might be joining this forum eventually but it seems that circumstances are suddenly a bit more dire. Briefly I'll share my situation as I'm going to need a fast education and advice.

I've been searching for a very particular truck for about 5 years and found it last week - an 87 Grumman Kurbmaster bucket truck. This is a pretty rare and obscure truck and I want it for my photography business as it's both a good sized van that can be converted into a location van with storage and computers and it has a boom for high angle shots - in short my wierd dream van.

So I flew to MO to get it and its mechanical history is dubious but I thought I'd eventually convert it to a diesel for it's power and efficiency. Well, the 350 small block that was in it could barely get it to 65 (the truck wieghs between 10-14,000lbs) and about an hour ago I think I might have blown the head gasket - in Indiana, about 700 miles from home.

So, here's where I need help. There's no way I'm pouring good money after bad to rebuild a questionable engine so it seems like if the head gasket is actually blown (won't know until the wrecker opens in the morning and we check it) I should just look to convert it now. Unfortunately I'm far away from my mechanic so I might need to find someone here in IN. BUT - I have no idea what engine would be a good candidate. The truck is basically a UPS or bread truck and I think a lot of those trucks use Cummins IB6's but I guess I could use anything. The chassis is a GMC P35 with duallies and it's a pretty heavy duty truck.

So...

What engines would be good candidates for a 7 ton truck?

I don't need huge power but I'd like to change the rear diff to run at 75 comfortably. I might want to pull a trailer someday too.

Is there any legality issue in changing the engine of a 1987 heavy commercial truck from gas to diesel? I'll register it in NY.

Does anyone know of someone in IN (I'm stranded 45 miles west of Indianapolis right now) that specializes in this sort of thing? Could any decent mechanic do this? I'll ask at the shop that towed me tomorrow morning but I'm sort of scrambling to figure this out.

So, thanks for your advice in advance. I'll post a photo of the truck when I finally get my own computer connected.

Gregor

700 miles from home is not the best place to try and plan out a conversion, let alone get it done. Your probably better to see if the wrecker has an older small block hanging around and do a quick backyard swap, just to get you home.

It will probably cost you as much in hotel costs while you wait for some one there to do the diesel conversion then just a straight gasser swap. The swap can be done in a day while a conversion could take up to two weeks. This way you can get the truck home and take your time to do the conversion right the first time and have your choice of engines.

Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Well the truck also had a knocking rod so it's going to sit until I can find someone with a lowboy to bring it back to NY so I have some time now.

I'll spend some more time looking through the forum and considering my options. If anyone has opinions on engine choice or a good place to find one please let me know.

Gregor

Where in N Y are you? I have some reliable mechanic friends in SE NY (Newburgh).

Anyway, I have an AMG 6.5L TD (230HP) in my motorhome, which I normally run around 15K lbs. 85 mph is no problem - and wasn't for the original; GM 6.5L TD @ 190 HP.

If you decide to go with a 6.5L TD, I have a rebuildable short block cheap - in N central FL.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.