Thread: 2001 gmc 3500 van 6.5 t/d

Default 2001 gmc 3500 van 6.5 t/d

So I'm going to look at this van in a few days. 240k on the clock. Commercial bins, walkthrough headache rack etc. The current owner says that prior to him, it was owned by CocaCola. It has Surveilance, GPS, Cameras, and guidance. So when Coke sold him the van, they removed some of the system and hacked up the wiring. He says the van runs well, but the hack job on the wiring drains both batteries. No service records He's asking $2500

Comments and suggestions please !!!

Thanks in advance

How does the 01 6.5 engine center turbo van application fair in the 6.5 world? I'm on the fence with this van, but dont want another headache to rebuild.

I thought that I would get it started/running/drive it etc. Typical stuff. If it is just electrical from an aftermarket hack job, I can deal with that. If the 01 in a van with the life expectancy of less than 240k miles, then I may pass. To me, 240k miles seems like a lot for a 6.5. in an 01 van.

Thanks for any feedback

I'd be a bit hesitant on the electronics depending on how hacked up they are. I've dealt with that sort of thing on pre-computerized vehicles and it is a royal pain there.

Others can chime in, but I'm finding 200K+ on my own vehicles starts meaning things like replacing injectors and injection pumps due to wear as well as hoses, brake and fuel lines, and so forth. Of course, some of that is because of 25 years and not 17, but still.

I don't know anything about how CocaCola maintains their equipment, but my fleet experience tends to be that vehicles are "ridden hard and put away wet" then sold when worn out. Some of it depends on your intended use - extra vehicle for hauling stuff around when needed or depend on it daily as your vehicle for your work?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423