Thread: 6.2 Serpentine conversion with dual alts +AC?

Default 6.2 Serpentine conversion with dual alts +AC?

I recently pickup up a good running 6.2 out of a M1008 and will be using it in my project truck. I would like to keep the dual alternators while switching to normal 12V wiring and starter and also add AC since the truck has it available(and it is serpentine pulley). I was looking into serpentine conversions and did find that some vans had the option for dual alts on 6.5 but no luck tracking one down to look at or get parts from.

Would it be feasible to swap the pulleys on current alternators over to serpentine pulleys along with the normal 6.5 serpentine balancer and water pump? I know I would then have to fab up something to hold the tensioner as well as probably at least 1 idler.

Arrow

We did a story a few years ago about a dual alternator conversion for the 1996+ 6.5L diesel pickups and SUVs, which use a serpentine belt system. That story is now a part of the book: 6.5L Turbo Diesel Volume II.
    https://www.thedieselpage.com/65bookii.htm

Jim

Dare I ask, based on your name, is your project truck a Toyota Tacoma? Because a neighbor has a 1st gen 4-Runner with a blown head gasket that he might sell me, and here I am sitting on two RVs both with 6.2

-Bigshankhank- No my tacoma went from 4cyl to 350 small block to 383 back to 4cyl over the years. You might be able to fit one but will either need a body lift or be ready to cut out firewall. Even after doing an SAS and getting the axle out of the way I had one sitting in my truck and due to width compared to the small block the heads hit firewall and bellhousing was 3" away from touching. Hate to point you in the direction of a very overdone swap but the LS motors are way to go at moment for the toyota's, I have 2 4.8's sitting here and will be putting one in my tacoma in future just due to the good packaging and weight-VS-power.

The project for the 6.2 is a 1963 gmc 3\4 Ton long bed
    6.2 Diesel
    SM465 4spd-BW4401
    Dana 60\Dana 70 rear with 4.10's

-More Power- Thanks for direction to look into, I have seen a few add on kits for dual alts but none that are oriented like the military with the alts on opposite sides.

The LS swap certainly makes more sense. I

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 350Tacozilla View Post

-More Power- Thanks for direction to look into, I have seen a few add on kits for dual alts but none that are oriented like the military with the alts on opposite sides.
    The 1996+ dual alt install has both a right/left alternator.

Ok thats good to know! I have my military 6.2 with dual alts and a parts 94 6.5 non turbo from a c1500 (seems kinda rare to find but not really desirable for me).

The savana dual setup I found was a 01 I believe and was first one I had seen with the duals from factory.