Thread: Introduction and No Start Questions

Default Introduction and No Start Questions

Hello All,

I am on of the users that typically doesn't post and ask questions as most everything has already been answered is you look hard enough. I have come across a problem that I can't find a solution to. I have a 84' K2500 6.2 which is mostly untouched from the factory configuration. A few years ago my father gave me the truck when he finally decided to purchase a new heavy duty. The truck is more sentimental than anything since I grew up with it. I have slowly been fixing issues with the truck as I have time. I would love to eventually get this to 100% reliability and turn it into disaster recovery volunteer vehicle.

To the issue at hand. This truck has always been a reliable starter. It has new 60g glow plugs, new alternator and batteries. I recently was moving the truck and it started up (first try) and died out like it typically does on a cold start with not having run in a month or so. However, after it died out I get nothing out of the truck. The truck will not attempt to turn over, glow plugs will not light (even with manual switch). Nothing. I have checked the batteries, full charge. I replaced a relay on the drivers side firewall with not luck. The relay is getting power from the switch but it is not putting power out. If anyone has thoughts or words of wisdom please chime in.

Also, if anyone lives in the north greater Atlanta area I would love meet up and pick your brain. I have a solid mechanical understanding but don't know the nuances of the 6.2

Thank you all in advance, Chad

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Try to keep this simple, as it usually is.

The relay on the driver side fender is the OEM glow plug relay. If the glow plug system works, don't mess with it. AC60G plugs may require more than one ignition cycle to heat enough, when it's really cold. If the system is failed/failing, don't bother trying to repair it to original. Replace it with the 1985-1993 controller, or DIY a control, as described in THIS thread.

Check all the fuses.

Check the battery cables and grounds at every location (replace if original, they're toast by now). Peel back the insulation at the terminals. If there's anything other than bright, shiny copper, they're likely corroded long up the strands. This is a slow, irreversible killer. Most often, you will see battery voltage throughout the system, until a high load is engaged (such as a glow cycle or a start attempt). At that time, the cable connections break contact. There may or may not be a sparking sound.

If everything else is perfect, the ignition switch would be the next suspect.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

DmaxMaverick,Thank you for the information. I will try to spend some time over the next couple of weeks. I will up date the thread as I progress.

DmaxMaverick, Thank you again for the advise. I finally got some time to troubleshoot the truck. I found a fuseable link at the starter that had corroded which was the cause of the engine not turning over. I still have not resolved the glow plug issue but that should be a simple fix. I can jump the glow plug relay if needed in the short term.

Thanks again for the advise.