Thread: Broken

Default Broken

I have a 1993 k2500 4X4, that has experienced what I believe to be a catastrophic failure. My first impression is a broken crank. I'm currently attempting to get the oil pan off to see the damage, but am having a hell of a time with it. If I unbolt the front axle and transfer case, can I get this thing off? If I got to remove the motor mounts I might as well pull it. I'm trying to assess the damage to evaluate weather its worth fixing or scrap it. It's a really nice truck, with lots of new parts and work, but at the end of the day it's still a 93. can't put 5K in it.
    Any advice?

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Dropping the differential will allow the pan to be removed.

You don't have to remove the pan to determine a broken crank. If there's any deflection between the flex plate or flywheel and the balancer, the crank is broken. Just index or lock the ring gear, put a breaker bar on the balancer bolt, and rock it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Either way he pan has to come off. There are holes in it, and it was beaten pretty bad from the inside. Both sides up high and forward of the well. Had to beat it back in to get to some of the pan bolts. It's a mess.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli View Post
    Either way he pan has to come off. There are holes in it, and it was beaten pretty bad from the inside. Both sides up high and forward of the well. Had to beat it back in to get to some of the pan bolts. It's a mess.
    Um, not really, unless you're just curious. Otherwise, it sounds pointless at this time, if you're not throwing your wallet into it.

In my opinion, being a 93 doesn't mean it it isn't worth fixing. If it's in great shape otherwise, dollar value is only relevant if/when you sell it. They're great trucks, if not beat up or rusted out. Read through these pages and you'll find a lot of folks throwing a lot more cash at less than what you have. It's an illness. Feed it or cure it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I was pricing a long block from SSDiesel. It's about 5.5K, but it should be top notch. I've already got their injector pump on it. Has less than 5K miles on it. I just hate putting that much in a truck that's only worth 4K tops. Otherwise I could sell it on here to some of you enthusiasts and get some of my money back out of it. I bought it 2 yr ago for 4500 for my son, and he abandoned it. so I took it back. It is a good truck. I like it a lot, I'm just getting to the point I'm tired of working on stuff by myself, and to hire it done is definitely out of my budget.

What happened when it let go ????

I would not bother dropping the pan.

Yank the engine out and then dissect it and see whats salvageable.

Scare up a good block and piece together a decent engine.

I have pieced together several of these beasts over the years.

If you can salvage things like heads and and such you are on your way to making a runner cheap.

I have built some decent engines like this for less than $1000

ebay for stuff like rings, bearings, gaskets...

As Maverick said...ITS AN ILLNESS
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

If....you want to do the work... Robyn is right about costs and parts. Definitely worth the investment.
    But! If you don't want to do the work the answer is...sell the truck!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    What happened when it let go ????

I would not bother dropping the pan.

Yank the engine out and then dissect it and see whats salvageable.

Scare up a good block and piece together a decent engine.

I have pieced together several of these beasts over the years.

If you can salvage things like heads and and such you are on your way to making a runner cheap.

I have built some decent engines like this for less than $1000

ebay for stuff like rings, bearings, gaskets...

As Maverick said...ITS AN ILLNESS
    Sounded like I ran over top of a deer or something. Was looking behind me to see what it was then looked back and engine was dead, but I'm still rolling along about 55. This is an automatic by the way. Anyway, wrestled it over to a parking lot. Got it home and the oil pan is beat all to crap from the inside and dipstick, once pulled out lacked about 4 inches going back in before it hits something. Can't get the dipstick tube out right now ether. Something is seriously displaced in there.
    I've got the pan almost off. Gonna have to drop the differential a few inches to get it out. I'll see it then. I don't really want to start this unless I can do it right, and I just don't know if I want to put that much in it.

If it didn't crack the block or snap off some rods, everything else should be fine. The story I got from the guy I bought it from was GM put an engine in it around 130000 miles ago. It ran great, was plenty strong.

If it didn't crack the block or snap off some rods, everything else should be fine. The story I got from the guy I bought it from was GM put an engine in it around 130000 miles ago. It ran great, was plenty strong.

If GM used a '97-2001 GM built engine all bets are off if there is anything salvageable in there. I can't think of anything in there that I would even take a chance on for a rebuild. My $.02.
    Definitely wouldn't do any work from underneath like that... #1 you would have a very hard time doing sufficient inspections to make sure critical components aren't cracked to even know what you are dealing with...

Sorry... didn't do the quotes right!

LOL! That's encouraging.

Arrow

Most of us don't really like being the bearer of bad news, so you may not get the full opinion. In this case, it could be harsh. I agree with the above. Not much chance of anything salvageable, considering the carnage described. Despite common (mis)belief, these engines are very durable, but that's a double-edge blade. By the time things start punching through the pan, it's pretty much game over. What you see from the outside is usually minor compared to what you'll find inside. When they grenade, it's usually a thorough job. While it is possible it dodged serious damage, it isn't likely. About all we can do is wish you luck, suggest you start shopping around for a replacement, and do the best we can to help you get it back on its feet.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Yeah. Anyone looking for a good rolling chassis 4X4?

Default toast??

Heres the evidence finally got the pan off.
    Am I toast?
    Any opinions will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm having a hard time believing the crank is not broke, since the #3 bearing cap broke off and the others have not, but I don't see any indication of a break as yet. Also can't tell which came first, the rod cap coming off and displacing the rod locking the engine up and breaking the cap off, or the Cap breaking off and taking the adjoining rod cap with it.

TRAIN WRECK...

Get the engine out, as even if it is repairable it can't be done in the truck.

Get the block down to bare bones and then see what is cracked.

IF the main webs are not cracked it might be possible to replace the broken cap and then do a line bore to get the mainline back to good shape.

Finding a good used block/engine and scavenging what you can from yours might well be far better.

The carnage I see pretty well indicates that its toast.

Even if you can salvage the block...the $$$$$$$ are going to be heavy.

Get it out and apart and on a stand upside down (Bare block) and get some eyes in there with plenty of light. A good power/hot wash to degrease the entire block so you can see it well inside the bottom end.

At this juncture it's still a guess

IF THE MAIN WEBS ARE NOT CRACKED you may be able to patch it up.

MAIN WEBS...LOWER CYLINDER WALLS AND SUCH...

Was the main cap just cracked in two, or was it broken clean off the web ???
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Bolts broke off on one side, and the cap broke on the opposite side.
    I can't see the one with the broke rod well yet, but the cylinders all look excellent

Default Swengines

Anyone had any dealings with SWENGINES? They have "good running low mileage pullouts pretty cheap. Around 2800, complete engine. It'll cost me more than that to fix this one, IF it's salvageable.